back to article Victoria & Albert overwhelms museum SAN

London's Victoria & Albert museum has overwhelmed its original SAN with digitised images of its collection and is moving to a new one with room to grow more than 50 times larger. The V&A has found that by becoming a museum without walls on the Internet, it has found there is a huge demand for on-screen access to its collection …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A title should not be required

Given the target audience of this site, was it really necessary to tell us what SAN stands for??

2. TJ
    Thumb Up

Good story

Good solid story here. I like it!

3. abigsmurf
    Paris Hilton

Important information

Come on, don't leave us hanging! What's the solution to that jug? Use a straw?

4. JohnG
    Joke

Their SAN might not have been overloaded...

...if there were not so many people looking for hi-res pictures of big jugs.

5. Marvin the Martian
    Thumb Down

Meissen = city

I was intrigued by a vulture species I didn't know, and El Reg modeling their logo off it.

But no: Meissen is a city renowned for its porcelain, and it's a south american vulture instead (the King Vulture). =(

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks

Thanks Chris for a well written and interesting article without the swearing, trolling and name-calling that many Reg writers use to elicit comments. It's not often that we stand back and appreciate how far IT has come in the last few years, you article made me do just that.

More like this please!

7. hugo tyson
    Paris Hilton

Jug solution

I expect the handle itself is a straw, so you have to cover N-1 of the spouts with you fingers and suck on the remaining one. Ooo-er missus. [Paris for multiple reasons.]

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Puzzle Jug

To drink from the jug without spilling the contents, simply suck from the spout.

If there are multiple holes at the top of the jug, cover them with your fingers whilst sucking...

fnaar, fnaar,,,

Paris - Like to see her try.....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Slave to the rhythm

The place has a quality selection of naked babes, and also naked men wrestling each other, albeit that they are all made of stone - they could open a subscriber-only section of the website with close-up images of the naughtier sculptures, upskirt shots of Queen Victoria etc (she wore very large skirts). Step three, profit!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Thanks for the heads up

Now I can search for their link and check out the collection. Always nice to see what's there when i doubt i will ever see any of it in person. I really do wish every museum would do the same.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only 1.5TB a year?

1.5TB a year? I know some people whose pr0n collections grow faster than that...

I've bought 1TB this year alone, and before anyone snarks, no it's not for that.

Now if we were talking PB, *that* would be a heavy storage requirement ;)

12. Ms Pac-man

Using Google street view in online exhibitions...

... Great idea! It's not quite street view, but the Irish national library has done something similar with one of its exhibitions with really great results. Check it out : www.nli.ie/yeats

This topic is closed for new posts.