back to article IBM authorizes OpenSolaris on mainframes

A month ago, Sine Nomine Associates, the mainframe consultancy that has done most of the porting work on the "Sirius" variant of Solaris Unix to IBM's mainframe platform, said that the code was available for people to try out on the OpenSolaris project site. And now IBM has come around to actually authorize the use of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Free Solaris -Come & Get Your Free Solaris

...just need a $5 million mainframe and a room full of silver haired guys to run the mother ship...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Might have to try this on hercules

As someone interested in the Z platform I've been playing around with zLinux on Hercules which, believe it or not, is a mainframe emulator for your x86 box. It runs like an arthritic tortoise, but seems to work.

I might have to have a go with Sirius now.

When do we get a "Big Blue" icon to go with the good/bad jobs and gates?

3. Damn Yank
    Thumb Up

Hercules! Hercules!

(what movie??)

We have Hercules (and, ahem, z/OS) running on a Macbook - and it actually performs quite well!

It is good for porting and lightweight testing.

I wouldn't want to fire up CICS & DB2 or anything like that.

zLinux is slow on real 'z' hardware - there is so much emulation and other voodoo going on under the covers that it is and always will be a slug...

4. Mark Cathcart

@damn yank

You must have some other problem with your zLinux performance, there is NO emulation going on on real z hardware... suggest you go over to IBMVM listserv and see whats going on http://listserv.uark.edu/archives/ibmvm.html

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Re: @dam yank

Regardless of emulation, z hardware is slow anyway. That's why IBM doesn't put out any benchmarks for z. sssssllllllooooowwwwww.....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@damn yank, @Mark

Even better, go to the Linux for z series list:

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?linux-390

The Velocity guys can probably help.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Re: @dam yank (sic)

Slow? Depends on what you measure. Yes, the processors themselves have not historically been quick but the I/O subsystem is shit hot and will beat the hell out of pretty much anything else in terms of throughput. Horses, courses.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Re:@Re: @dam yank (sic)

"Depends on what you measure."

How about actual performance. Overall performance. You need a balance and the Mainframe gives you reliability, stability, and predictability but it sure as heck runs slow... But at least you know it'll finish doing what it's doing... someday.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like