back to article HP could impose compulsory redundancies for EDS staff

EDS UK and Ireland-based employees will face compulsory firings if Hewlett-Packard doesn’t hit its targets for voluntary redundancies for the first half of its fiscal 2009, The Register has learned. HP confirmed last month that it would axe 3,378 jobs in the UK. Around 90 per cent of these are understood to be EDS staff. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Redundancy Packages?

Anyone got an idea as to whether the volunteers will be only offered standard (statutory) redundancy? If so, why the hell would anyone volunteer?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Packages

No, it's better than the minimum and the CR package is supposed to be the same as VR. For example, 16yrs service (after tax) = 1yr salary in a couple of cases. I do not know how the numbers are worked out.

A number of people seems to be waiting for the CR.

I think the time table is complete bullshit. They want most people out by Feb, not H1. IE is loosing 2/3 of it's people with the work going to either India or Hungary. I've heard people have been told that CR will kick in during January and those targeted will be gone by 22nd of Jan :(

Over the last 5 years, they've introduce 3 or 4 levels of management when they've been supposedly been reducing it !!! Get rid of them and the fuckwit sales people that sell the impossible for peanuts and the moron project managers that are only in the job because they can turn a PC on.

3. Shane Orahilly
    Alien

Volunteer > Compulsory

<<Anyone got an idea as to whether the volunteers will be only offered standard (statutory) redundancy? If so, why the hell would anyone volunteer?>>

If you wait until stat, you will have less re-employment opportunities. Those who took voluntary were "first to (the job)market", and if they had any luck, have already grabbed the vacancies suited to their skills and/or with better payrates. Wait it out, and you risk either no job, or a crap one.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP is killing EDS on purpose

They seem to be doing everything they can to anger the customers, prevent work from being completed and demoralise the staff who are trying to deliver.

Of course, that would make sense if HP want to asset strip and destroy EDS and don't care if they deliver.

5. Neil Smith
    Alert

Lies, damn lies and managment

Actually, EDS were probably over-subscribed on the recent VR round. The problem lies with middle management types putting the kybosh on staff taking VR. The reasons for this are supposedly operational, however there are a lot of little kingdoms to protect and staff numbers are basically seen as a penis extension.

In my own team, over 90% staff volunteered.. That's 100% of those who have been with EDS for more than 5 years. They've got plenty of volunteers, just terrified, purile, spinless managers who don't want to let staff go voluntarily. either that or they're looking forward to the compulsory rounds so they can 'claim a few scalps'.

6. Gulfie

No Takers for VR Shock

C'mon, who in their right mind is going to volunteer for redundancy in the current climate? Next you'll be telling us the pope is catholic...

I agree with AC ('Packages') though, there was plenty of crap management when I worked there. The whole organisation was (is?) about as agile as a weelchair-ridden arthritic 90 year old...

7. Ascylto

Volunteer?

Why should any EDS staff volunteer for voluntary redundancy?

There must be loads more government IT projects in the UK they haven't screwed up ... yet!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP making profits at the expense of it's clients

HP current action is despicable, it is definitely trying to lose the business it doesn't want at the expense of the employees. Why doesn't it just sell off the contracts it doesn't want rather than bullying it's staff who in the past years have shown great commitment and loyalty. See the australian news for details of the employee who they drove to attempted suicide!!

This topic is closed for new posts.