back to article Red Hat and Novell duke it out in real time

When it comes to processing financial transactions, money can be won or lost in milliseconds. That's why high throughput, low latency, and consistent latency for transactions are the name of the game. Financial institutions are fanatical about their market data and trading systems, and Linux distros want to cash in on that. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nicholas manojlovic
    Thumb Up

Great for audio

This patch set has actually been used in Fedora linux (as a project offshoot called Planet CCRMA - other distros also) for some time, because of its use with audio applications. Sadly, the current patch set is incompatible with the current linux kernel. Red Hat and others have promised to bring it up to speed, but it doesn't appear like a currently patched kernel is appearing any time soon.

When used, it makes Linux the best audio platform around, easily.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

After what dead rat did with FC9

I wouldnt trust them to handle any transactions. But that is just me.

Paris becuase, well hell, at least when she buggers something up, people have a good time.

3. Allan Rutland
    Coat

Pronouncing

If MRG is pronouced Merge, this mean that SLERT is pronouced Slut?

4. Richard
    Linux

Red Hat did the work

What you neglect to mention is that Red Hat did the work and employ the developers, so if you want the best support, use Red Hat.

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Flame

@Richard

So the whole Open Source thing is a complete waste of time because you're always going to get better support from the company that built the thing originally anyway?

I'd offer you some fail for that, but it appears that you have plenty of your own.

6. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Boffin

Shame the test wasn't run on the same kit.

It would've been nice to see a direct comparison, RedHat vs Novell both on the same build. I would also be interested in seeing the performance difference when switching between 10GbE and Infiniband.

7. matthorany
    Linux

Funny

I think it's funny that SLES performs at a comparable rate on it's own. SLES 10 got off to a bad start but has over the past little while become a viable competitor to RHES. I want to see more comparisons like this. I'd like to see the OES 2 platform compared to RHES's collection of similar products. (i.e. clustering, printing, management, virtualization, etc.) Also I'd like to see what Red Hat is doing to make integration easier when running a mixed environment with say Microsoft.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like