back to article Western Digital hits the buffers

Western Digital has faced up to the deepening recession by announcing the loss of up to 2,500 jobs, executive pay cuts and the closure of manufacturing plants in Malaysia and Thailand. These actions are the result of a sudden and dramatic fall in demand for hard drives, particularly OEM demand for desktop, notebook and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Macintyre

a first surely?

"Pay for all its executives, board-level directors and other senior management is being cut"

Surely they normally just sack more staff so the board can keep there abusive salaries? I'm almost impressed with this company... until they say they've cut salaries in the millions by about 20 quid probably...

2. Arnold Lieberman
    Alert

Despite the terrible news

It's good to see that the management are taking responsibility and cutting their own pay, unlike the greedy bankers who caused this mess in the first place.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

title

"CEO John Coyne’s base salary is cut 33 per cent. Chief Financial Officer Tim Leyden receives a 25 per cent base salary cut; the general counsel and chief technology officer both get a 15 per cent cut, as do the board directors."

I bet they will get bonus's to make up for the base pay cut

4. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

not made in china

as long as they don't start making their drives in China like Seagate, I don't buy any 'made in China' hard disks, as their are much less reliable with many more DOAs according to my experience and what I read around Internet forums.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like