back to article Seagate's complacency blasted away - what now?

During 2008 Seagate became a technology follower. Business results at the end of the year tore the veils from its executives' eyes as they looked a half billion dollar loss in the face. Now there is a new CEO, and a determination to get a strong grip back on the business. Seagate sold $3.42bn worth of hard drives, 50m units, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seagate/Maxtor trailing

All HDD manufacturers have had product issues at some point in the last few years.

Look how many have lowered their warranty lengths.

Seagate seem to have inherited Maxtor's quality/reliability problems, which have been patchy.

I haven't bought a Seagate drive for years, as they always seemed to run hotter & noisier then others. Been sticking with Hitachi & WD. WD might not have a reputation for fast, but I've found them reliable.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

Going to be 'the clear leader in storage devices' and to this end, they're sacking people?

3. GHok

Hmm

Considering my space needs haven't changed much in the last few years what I care about most is reliability. The warrantly length decrease from a few years back worried me. When a harddrive dies, it's such a pain in the ass.

Of course, if a company makes a good hard drive, I won't need to buy one again until it breaks... and if it's a good hard drive, it shouldn't break.

Of course, I'm just talking for home use. Thankfully there's a business sector that requires new stuff all the time, and I assume, keeps these companies trying to make reliable equiptment.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Remaining Londonderry plant?

There only ever was one.. I should know as I'm sitting in it right now while waiting for the axe to fall. The general consensus within the plant is we're facing big redundancies, since before xmas we've been working three day shifts instead of the normal four with the shift off being taken as a holiday or if you've no holidays left unpaid. There is very little work here and even less information from the management. Won't be long now I reckon.

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Business as usual

Oh, the decisions we made last year were wrong.

So we're going to lay off a bunch of people that didn't have anything to say about our decisions and everything will be all right.

Oh, and we're going to make some more decisions. If we're wrong again, we'll just lay off another bunch of people that have nothing to do with these decisions, and everything will be all right.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like