back to article VMware results virtually untouched by recession

VMware turned in solid fourth quarter and full year results, growing in spite of the recession as server and desktop consolidation cost-saving projects remain popular with customers. The company reported fourth quarter calendar 2008 (Q4 08) revenues of $515m, up 25 per cent on Q4 07, and GAAP net income of $111m ($0.29/share) …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hurting EMC?

How does VMware hurt EMC? A big enabler for VMware sales is vMotion for which you need some kind of shared storage therefore VMware is a way to encourage customers to deploy new "consolidated" storage solutions!

Hardly hurts EMC does it?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Hurting EMC

Whether it hurts EMC or not is dependant on whether people are buying large storage arrays, or re-using their current ones/building their own with OpenSauce operating systems.

I know I'm planning on setting up a couple of NASs running OpenFiler as it's free, and serves up reliable iSCSI and NFS shares on standard hardware - negating the need to pay stupendous amounts for what is, basically, glorified rack servers.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: @Hurting EMC

For me, a lot of the drivers for VMware solutions stem from consolidations and I have to say that a lot of this is arm in arm with consolidating storage.

Most customers I talk to internal storage with loads unused and inaccessible to other machines. The VMware solution lets me sell them a consolidate storage array with all the niceties of vMotion, DRS and HA.

Definitely doesn't hurt EMC per se, in my opinion (unless I'm selling a competitor like HP or IBM). Then it's not VMware hurting EMC, but their high prices.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like