back to article HP says weak pound won't force a price hike - yet

Hewlett-Packard has no plans to jack up its UK price list despite the pound’s weak performance against the US dollar, which has already forced Dell to hike its prices. We asked HP whether it would respond to Dell’s decision to up its EMEA prices by making a similar move. “It is HP company policy to not comment on competitor …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Miller
    Thumb Down

Seems only fair

After the price reductions that took place when £1 = $2 ... oh, hang on a mo'

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Rubbish... HP toner prices up 30%

over the last 3 months HP toner prices are up 30%...

toners for us are now £50 more

3. Chris Evans
    Thumb Down

Economical with the truth

HP have put up their consumables prices most months in the last six by up to 10% at a time

4. Andy Livingstone

Who cares?

They can make their prices as high or as low as the like. From previous experiences any HP product is permanently banned by me.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

HP have already increased prices

HP have already increased prices on their server lines due to the weak pound several times over the past 6 months or so.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

For years US companies, e.g. Microsoft, Adobe

have been working on the $1=£1 pricing mechanism. They were quite happy to charge £400 for a $400 piece of code, so I suggest leaving it as it is would be the fairest thing to do.

Who knows, if it falls much further, we might even find ourselves paying the same money for the same thing...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Kippers

Having fallen foul of buying an HP Pavillion laptop a few years back that later became subject of a class action in the US due to it not being capable of removing the heat from the graphics card before it failed, I agree with previous posters - HP's previous earlier (and well-earned) reputation for quality has long-since gone, so I don't care what their prices are - I'll never buy again :(

If only I lived in the US I might have got my money back...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yet should be already

HP has already jacked up its Storage prices in Q308. this was communicated to customers.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

not so

Printers/MFPs went up 10% at end of Jan.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP are careful in their wording

HP have already adjusted their prices a number of times.

The first major price hike (dollar related) was on the 15th September which moved pricing ~10% across the board. On 1st December a similar price increase was announced, though limited to ISS group (servers + storage) only.

Right now we're selling HP servers 35% higher than they were in the first week of September - on the same margin.

Many of my customers are adjusting their budgets by as much as 50% and increasing targeted lifespans of servers equally to compensate.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

HP pricing variations

they also put pricing up on procurve switches. however, prices are always negotiable, just get a quote from Dell and HP will beat it, then Dell will beat that.

eventually you get the price you want to pay and decide whether you like Dell or HP more :-)

personally, I find the whole discount game played by Dell, HP and Cisco to be a major PITA. I once made a compaint to Eu competition commission about cisco but was rebuffed!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

That's just not true!!! HP INVENT!!!!

The x86 server range has seen some significant price hikes in the last few months AND they have even withdrawn 1 of the cheaper models. HP Invent again!!!!

13. Nicholas Dixon

HP Price Hikes!!!

HP made significant hikes last year (8-10%) for those of purchasing through major distribution. We have seen similar price increases again on Monday of this week. Often they are covered up by HP removing their so called Top Value models but the reality there is no HP server I can buy for a price close to that which I was paying last year.

I am not critical of this, it is a commercial necessity. BUT the increases are very real.

14. Paul Kennedy

Prices from Nikon and Canon have gone up

By between 12-20% due to weaker exchange rate from GBP to yen

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like