back to article Red Hat updates real-time Linux

Red Hat has announced that it has begun shipping the second rev and the first fully functional version of its Enterprise MRG real-time Linux. The Fedora Project, which is sponsored by Red Hat, has also put the alpha of its Fedora 11 development release in the field on time. Enterprise MRG is a variant of the Red Hat Enterprise …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Billy William
    Paris Hilton

OpenSolaris spanks Red Hat

We tried deploying Red Hat's new real time bits, and leaving quality aside (it's riddled with bugs, even install is broken), performance hogged vs. basic OpenSolaris. Tested on HP gear, running standard config. Red Hat needs to go back to the drawing board...

Parris because she was hoping for a different answer.

2. Dunstan Vavasour
    Boffin

Solaris RT

Gosh I was using the Real Time facilities in Solaris 2.5.1 more than 10 years ago - they were built into the Solaris kernel from the beginning. I wouldn't exactly call it Real Time - the despatch latency could be up to a millisecond, though usually far less - but for plant we were controlling that would easily good enough. Using a 140MHz microSPARC processor we could handle data samples coming in at 50Hz, comparable to the industrial controllers of the time.

For serious real time applications, of course, you need something designed for the purpose (is VxWorks still going?), but for the in-between stuff where a millisecond between friends can be forgiven, I found a Solaris kernel worked well back in the day. Whether the necessary gadgets (e.g. priority inheritance) can be successfully retrofitted into a Linux kernel/scheduler I have no idea.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Message Queues, Real-time and Grids?

Strange combination of features - I guess they're going for the, er... transaction processing number-crunching embedded systems market? Bit of a niche, that one...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like