back to article Cisco to bundle Trend security suite with wireless routers

Cisco has signed a deal with Trend Micro to embed internet security software into Linksys wireless routers. The deal represents a different way to market security software to families rather than a recognition that routers need anti-virus, which they don't. The Home Network Defender software will include parental control ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TeeCee Gold badge
    Thumb Down

Next week's news.

Cisco hauled before the EU commission after anti-competitive practice complaints from Symantec, McAfee etc.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

<Make your own title up>

"The tools are designed to provide a way to identify malicious websites, including sites associated with fraud, and content at the router level."

Why would I need that, there are arseholes at BT and Phorm who want to do it, within the ISP, for me.

Sorry, just feeling bitter

3. Timo

been done already - nothing to see here - move along

I have a Netgear wireless router that hooks into Trend - and that thing has got to be about 5+ years old by now. Just one more place that you can (a) get hawked with advertising, and/or (b) turn yourself into someone else's annuity stream.

Feh.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Pounds and Dollars

Since when does $1 equate to over £1?

5. Walter Brown
    Stop

What this could be / What it is...

This could be a good solution for home users to protect their PC's, Trends products are pretty good, they've never let me down. however they've made one fundamental mistake with the bundled software choice. They've chose to include Anti-virus + Anti-spyware instead of "internet security 2009" which is a bad choice for 2 reasons, AV+AS doesnt include a personal firewall, so people are forced to either use the windows firewall or no firewall at all, and be nagged about not having a firewall turned on. If by doing it this way Trend is saying that product is so good that a personal firewall isnt necessary, they need to smoke a little more dope, and share, so that we can all share the same hallucinations.

Everyone knows that the biggest security risk / failure on any computer sits between the keyboard and the chair, and when little sally downloads that loaded avi file of snoopy and peppermint patty doing questionable things in a treehouse, and executes it, it will instantly infect the other machines on the network and recruit them in to the flavor-of-the-week botnet being used to DDoS teletubbies.com or something of that sort. and with the windows firewall being brain dead and otherwise useless, that makes product an epic failure and a bad idea. this product leans a little to the retarded side, because, to me at least , it amounts to nothing more that an overstated false sense of security. bad trend micro, bad dog...

6. Christopher Ahrens

That will totally work..

If people weren't stupid enough to not change the password on the router..... Then again the people that have enough intelligence to do that are also not stupid enough to run executables because the website tells them to, and judging from the number of unsecured Wireless networks in my area (about 98% of the total networks) I don't think this will help at all...

@Pounds and Dollars: Companies usually charge more to foreign customers...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like