back to article HIS HD 4870 IceQ 4+ Turbo graphics card

HIS describes its HD 4870 IceQ 4+ Turbo 1GB as its "Fastest Single GPU Graphic Card Ever", complete with all of those capital letters. HIS is an AMD partner, so that’s another way of saying that this particular IceQ 4+ is an overclocked Radeon HD 4870 - the 4870 X2 is excluded by virtue of being based on two GPUs. HIS HD 4870 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

You dimwits. Edit file!

Just locate and ext-edit your saved ATI OD profile file to get the fan to idle at a lower speed and to get ATI OD to allow you to clock it higher. I can't even program a microwave, but I can do that! Just go in there and look for the OBVIOUS values that correspond to your problems (min fan speed, and freqs). Certainly, it 'should' (or 'could') be easier than that, but it's obvious why it isn't. Idiots would turn off the fan and clock it to hell and BOOM! Then they've claim they never messed with it and try an RMA. Also, if it were too easy to OC these things then the manufacturers would have problems with product differentiation. I recommend all users of (compatible) single slot cards get the Arctic Cooling Accellero S1 rev2. It will drop the temps a mile and make it almost silent. Esp when combined with some 'Aeroslots'. Either get the turbo module for the S1 too or just mount a fan to blow on the sink. For double slot cards (with rear venting), just edit the profile's text file. Create profile, then edit it. You get a quiet fan at idle that spins up under load and a cool card/case with greater OC ability. Call yourselves geeks? More like normal, lazy kids. Barely mediocre geekery at best. EDIT THE PROFILE!

But, whislt you were a bit slooow in this article, thanks for letting us know that this will be a good card when in the hands of someone with v slight skills/knowledge or better. Someone like that could be hired to produce future reviews.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Fred Mbogo
    Boffin

Why oh why?

Why do graphic card companies believe they know ANYTHING about cooler design? The ATI and Nvidia reference designs are some of the worst cooling solutions I have seen. Noisy and Inefficient.

The best designs for the 4870 are the Twin Turbo from Artic Cooling and the Thermalright one. Sure this coolers can keep the card cool but with a 40 dB turbine-like whine. Not a solution for us that have to sleep in the same room as the computer system.

Currently looking for a company smart enough to sell the HD4870 with the Twin Turbo factory installed. Unfortunately those coolers are kind of hard to install and some have even bent the cards out of shape.

*Sigh*Mine's the one with the bent 4870.

4. Leo Waldock

@Tim

Yes the GTX 280 CPU results jump in 3DMark Vantage thanks to the PhysX offloading which is turn affects the overall score. That is the reason why we published all three scores and not just the overall score.

5. Leo Waldock

@Anonymous

Mr Anonymous

I reviewed a factory overclocked graphics card with their own heatsink/cooler package. You seem to be saying that not only should I tinker with the software that controls the cooling fan but that I should consider installing the biggest passive cooler I have seen in all my born days

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_&mID=105

If a manufacturer includes software with a product I am happy to use it. Other than that I'll stick to the approach that they build it, I use it and then I tell you what I think about it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

ICEQ == stable, unlike most ATI 48x0 cards

Great. As with their earlier ICEQ 4850, HIS have thrown out the stupid reference cooler and replaced it with something more suited to the task in hand. The ICEQ 4850 was one of the only 4850 cards capable of running Furmark without crashing the host PC.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like