back to article Convicted Romanian hacker is hot commodity in Italy

Software companies and government officials in Italy are falling over themselves to recruit a 22-year-old hacker serving a three-year prison sentence for electronic fraud. Gabriel Bogdan Ionescu, who is incarcerated at the Bassone Penitentiary in Como in northern Italy, has already been admitted to that country's prestigious …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adam C
    Thumb Down

What the hell?

Why are these companies offering these chaps a job when they're committed a felony. If they wanted to get themselves a job in the security industry, they should go through the proper channels instead of trying to get attention by stealing money and breaking the law.

You do the crime, you do the time!

2. Jay Jaffa
    Thumb Down

More fucking pedestal nonsense

This kid's a thief who's stolen hard-earned money from all generations and probably without any sense of remorse. Personally I'd hang the little bastard up by his bollocks and leave him to dry in the summer sun. How would you feel if he'd stolen from your, your parents or loved ones.

Instead those Italian fuckwits are making him out to be some kind of worthy genius - hacking's not hard - believe me. Following the rules is ...

stop the world I want to get off

3. Graham Marsden
    Joke

Pah, that's nothing...

... we've got a guy who broke into the Pentagon's computers, you know!

Want to give him a job? Better hurry, the Yanks want to lock him away...

4. Peyton

The best what?

Hacker? Student? Test-taker?

5. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

The Best?

If he's so good, why did he get caught?

6. adnim

@AC:The Best

Absolutely. The best hackers are unknown at least as hackers, and do not get caught.

Replicating a commercial website, even a bank/post office is not exactly a difficult task. Creating a false identity to physically get ones hands on the cash is a little more involved though not impossible. Eliminating all the electronic and physical connections between oneself, the false identity and the crime is not impossible either. But it takes a lot of planning, work and most importantly silence.

Perhaps he siphoned money from the compromised accounts straight into his own account... as opposed to a swiss numbered account opened with a false/cloned identity. Perhaps he bragged about it to the wrong people. (Everybody is the wrong people if one is committing a crime). Who knows but getting caught is most certainly not a smart move.

I am poor because I am honest.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Test results

The test results of those exams were stored somewhere on the well protected uni's network I presume? ... Some extra points though for pulling it off while serving time, dude!

8. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Thumb Down

"Security" outfits want to hire hax0r, coz he's "da best"

What next? "Investment" outfits that want to hire rogue trader, coz he's "da best"? Oh wait...

Also, I doubt the quality of Italian exams is very high.

9. brym

@Destroy All Machines

"Also, I doubt the quality of Italian exams is very high."

Bit of a blinkered outlook, isn't it? Considering Rome lead the way for so long in so many fields, and still does in many respects in the Arts and Fashion industries, why would you assume the rest of their Academic capabilities would be lacking? 22 years old, and security firms are bidding for him? All the best to him. It's unfortunate though that it happens this way moreso than not these days.

10. nothanx
    Unhappy

another kongfu rouge?

there is popular chinese saying on the net -

When a rouge knows kongfu, there's no way you can stop him!

11. Steve Roper
    Flame

What's wrong with this picture

is that this little prat will be offered a lucrative job, sock away a fortune in consultancy fees, salary, etc., and be lionised as an "expert", while the people he defrauded and robbed struggle in poverty and financial ruin probably for the rest of their lives. This is wrong on so many levels I don't know where to start.

What is needed here is a UN convention, requiring all member nations to implement as law, stating that any convicted cybercriminal recruited in a security or consultancy role, must have all money they earn taken off them and put into a reimbursement fund for victims of cybercrime. Enough money is left to them so they can afford rent, bills, food and the basic necessities of life - but no more. Further, that the cybercrook is to be kept under police surveillance and all their online activities monitored, so if they are caught engaging in fraud again, they are shown to a cell (I'd personally prefer the gallows), this time for keeps. So he then has a choice: he can live out in society on minimum wage and work out his debt, or he can rot away in prison or at the end of a rope.

As long as asshats like this hacker know they have the opportunity to step into a lucrative job as a reward for their crimes, the incitement to commit such crimes will continue to grow apace. These bastards shouldn't be getting rewarded for their "skill"; they should punished, for life, as an example to others who think they can rip people off and get rewarded for it.

12. Pierre

Why not? @Jay Jaffa

Once he's done his time, he's paid his debt to the society. If firms want to hire him, all the better!

Of course he should stay in jail until the end of his term, but «OMG no he stole teh MONNIEZ! What if he had stolen teh MONNIEZ from your 2 yo daughter? Please think of the children, hang him high and short!!», really? Are you not a bit too religious about greenbacks? Plus, I don't know the specifics of the case, but I'm pretty sure the victims got their money (sorry, Money) back.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: What the hell?

It's called rehabilitation. He has done the time. What do you want him to do now, go back to a life of crime, sit on his arse all day claiming social security handouts or become a productive member of society?

@Steve Roper

>while the people he defrauded and robbed struggle in poverty and financial ruin

Err, it will be the post office bank that will take the hit and I doubt that however much he siphoned off it will be anywhere near the amount the banks have lost due to their own greed or paid out to executives legally for the same reason.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@Graham Marsden

'... we've got a guy who broke into the Pentagon's computers, you know!'

Yeah, as if that's difficult.

'Want to give him a job? Better hurry, the Yanks want to lock him away...'

Nope, borderline ass burgers, some lame fucking excuse about looking for ET and he managed to get pwned by the Yanks.

Not ideal candidate material.

Besides, he's got a new job waiting for him when he gets to the US, he's gonna be keeping Bubba contented for the guards.

Paris, no need to be a h4xx0r to find her pr0n.

15. pc
    Flame

Is kongfu rouge..

any relation to judo mascara?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@"Also, I doubt the quality of Italian exams is very high."

"Also, I doubt the quality of Italian exams is very high." Why? Have you seen the rot that is the UK university system lately? (I'm assuming you are British from your ignorant attitude).

Well they make damn good cars, bikes, weapons and clothes there, and their women are beautiful and impeccably presented. They are doing something right.

17. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

@BLoad Re: @Peyton

Well if you enjoy performing simple tasks on your hands and knees, that would be the way to go.

Personally, I'd fill the test out any way I liked and then update the marks given on the University's servers before they printed 'em out and posted 'em. Anyone who marked a paper and then noticed the discrepancy between their opinion and that awarded would naturally assume the intervention of the locally ubiquitous Organised Crime boys and keep schtum, to avoid the risk of any equine components being added to their habitual sleeping arrangements.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

better youknow

as the saying goes

I would prefer to see him employed, not broke and stealing money off people

Yes i've thought about stealing to feed my family. No i dont Think that would be a heinous crime.

dont know if i could though

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He is doing the time, you dickheads.

Or are you saying "commit a crime, never have a job again in your life"? If so: a) You're in the wrong legal system; b) What's he going to do for a living? Oh yes, more crime! That works out so well for the taxpayer.

20. DutchOven
    Boffin

Job?

What's he need a job for if he can just liberate cash straight from other people's accounts?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

That's showbusiness!

It's just like a Hollywood movie: elite hacker, presumably caught by top investigators (lots of fancy graphics, "we're tracking his location now!"), gets the big gig while everyone, presumably dressed in expensive Italian suits, talks the guy up ("he's a hot property, one of the very best"). It's all showbusiness: what did you expect from a country run by a clown?

22. kain preacher

@He is doing the time, you dickheads.

Or are you saying "commit a crime, never have a job again in your life"? If so: a) You're in the wrong legal system; b) What's he going to do for a living? Oh yes, more crime! That works out so well for the taxpayer.

No I'm not saying that. Just that being convicted of a certain crimes bars you certain jobs. But hey if you dont care thats the person handling your money has been convicted of fraud, start a bank hiring nothing but ex cons.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like