back to article HP babysits small biz servers

Hewlett-Packard can't afford to have small and medium businesses become deer in the headlights of the economic meltdown. And so, the company is starting to kick out deals and services to make it easier for SMBs to acquire its servers and storage despite the uncertain business climate. Today, HP rolled out a babysitting service …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Boffin

New angle on old hp tech.

"Hewlett-Packard can't afford to have small and medium businesses become deer in the headlights of the economic meltdown. And so, the company is starting to kick out deals and services to make it easier for SMBs to acquire its servers and storage despite the uncertain business climate...." Not quite. This new product has been on the roadmap since well before the economic crash, and is a follow on to the ISEE product that already provides a similar phone-home integration with hp SIM. Whilst I'm sure hp will push it as a great way to cut on (PFY) costs, it is not a repsonse to the economic downturn, just a development of an existing technology line. I can remember a similar tech for hp-ux servers based on scripts provided by hp for UK mission-critical and business-critical customers at least as long ago as 2000. I can't remember what the Netserver equivalent was but it was a plug-in card. Any Netserver survivors out there care to fill in the blank?

For us, the best bit is ISEE and SIM talk more sense than hp's Bangalore helldesk, and I'm sure getting proper diagnostic info automatically saves hp just as much time and resource as it does the customer. Winners all round (except for the PFYs)!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like