The Channel logo

back to article Dell confirms more jobs cuts in EMEA

Dell is preparing to swing the job axe once again following its Q4 profit hammering when the firm was forced to jack up its cost-saving target by a billion dollars to $4bn last month. The company told many of its workers in Europe, the Middle East and Africa this morning to expect to see compulsory redundancies brought in over …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Unhappy

EMEA -- Bracknell?

Last I checked, Bracknell was in Berkshire -- which is in neither the East Midlands (Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire including Rutland, Warwickshire, Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire) nor East Anglia (Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Essex).

Happy

Bad news for Bracknell

This is yet more sad news for Bracknell, hot on the heels of job losses in the retail sector.

But Bracknell has still got a vibrant local economy, is a great place to live & work and has a dynamic future with its planned town centre refurbishment.

So, we may be down but definitely not out!

Thumb Up

Numbers?

Aye well, they may not want to give numbers but I can tell you 100-120 jobs are being cut across Glasgow and Edinburgh. Those getting the cut are being told on the 20th of April apparently.

Mind you, with the tech support roles up there are more becoming about selling customers stuff rather than actually helping them I wouldn't think twice if I was chopped.

Stop

Generous Dell

They have given 4 weeks pay for each year served, so their terms are quite generous (considering statutory levels are a fraction of that).

Question is, why not ask staff to take a pay cut. There are so many normal (not managerial) staff at Dell earning £70,000 - £80,000 (many in internal IT/IS) they could be asked to take a temporary cut (say for 18 months) in order to safeguard jobs. This is happening in other industries. Of course, this could be a good excuse to radically shrink the Bracknell site forever.

Coat

@EMEA -- Bracknell?

EMEA, in business, stands not for East Midlands and East Anglia, but Europe, Middle East and Africa.

I'll get my coat - because I'm clearly a nerd!

Anonymous Coward

DE11 post code

I still reckon that Dell ought to have it's official UK business address at postcode DE11 (Swadlincote I think)

Flame

@EMEA -- Bracknell?

EMEA = Europe, Middle East and Africa...

lol

Unhappy

Cherrywod

I do know that About 10% of the Dell work force was made redundant , and for the first time they have let go of actual sales people

@Anonymous - EMEA

EMEA != East Midlands East Anglia

EMEA = Europe, Middle East and Africa

This topic is closed for new posts.

Opinion

Chris Mellor

How long before Blue Big HQ pulls the plug on the whole thing?

Chris Mellor

Drives nails forged with Red Hat iron into VCE's coffin
Sleep Cycle iOS app screenshot

Trevor Pott

Forget big-spending globo biz: it's about the consumer... and he's desperate for a nap

Features

Windows 8.1 Update  Storeapps Taskbar
Chinese Buffet self-service
Chopping down the phone tree to scrump low-hanging fruit
An original member of the System/360 family announced in 1964, the Model 50 was the most powerful unit in the medium price range.
Big Blue's big $5bn bet adjusted, modified, reduced, back for more
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
Redmond needs to discover the mathematics of trust