back to article Penguin-free Linux 2.6.29 kernel released

Linus Torvalds has released a new version of Linux that temporarily kills off Tux, the cutesy Penguin mascot. Yesterday the big daddy of Linux announced the availability of Linux kernel 2.6.29, which comes with support for a preliminary version of the Btrfs filesystem. Support for the filesystem created by Chris Mason has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Le Cuirot
    Thumb Up

Wireless AP

I should be able to use my USB wireless adapter as an access point now, thanks to this kernel. :) Just need to wait for AMD to update the fglrx driver so that I can actually use it. :(

2. Marky W
    Alert

New trousers please!

ZOMG I seem to have soiled myself with excitement!!

My mistake, it was actually just a loss of motor control brought on by extreme indifference.

Zzzzz.....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

PS3 important change..

Can now access the full 512MB of memory via PS3FB filesystem. You want ultra-fast swap? You got it...

It's 50% quicker than the kernel patch that YDL6.1 has been using...

4. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

Go Tux!! ...er, I mean Tuz!

Here's hoping BtrFS puts paid to the ZFS-will-rule-the-OSS-World bleating from the Sunshiners. Now, if the uberPenguinistas will kindly download it and fix all the bugs before I get round to playing with it around July time I'll be quite happy!

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Tom Chiverton

"Nothing really exciting"

"Nothing really exciting", except, of course, Kernel Mode Setting (on Intel only for this release) which enables X to run non-root, more reliable suspend, quicker, flicker free boots, etc.

7. Marvin the Martian
    Thumb Up

Finally the penguins can clear their name!

This proves that The Wrong Trousers --- wherein a penguin impersonates a chicken for nefarious ends --- was wrong, it most certainly was a tasmanian devil who was the perpetrator!

8. Paul Foxworthy
    Linux

Tuz was the mascot for linux.conf.au 2009

Tuz the Tasmanian devil was the mascot for the linux.conf.au conference held in January 2009 in Hobart, Tasmania. It was a brilliant idea - the Tassie Devil with the penguin disguise to fit in with all the penguinistas coming to Hobart. Attendees are proud owners of Tuz stuffed toys.

There is a charity auction at the conference dinner every year, and this year the cause was Save The Tassie Devil. The auction was a free-ranging affair. Linus Torvalds offered to change the logo from Tux to Tuz for one release of the kernel if the bidding reached a good amount.

Also at the auction Bdale Garbee of HP was persuaded (again, after demanding higher bids) to allow Linus Torvalds to shave off his beard, which duly happened on Friday and made the television news in Hobart. Pictures, complete with Bdale holding Tuz, at http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/274149 /slideshow_linus_torvalds_shaves_bdale_garbee_beard?fp=4194304&fpid=1

A blow-by-blow description of the auction is at http://zarfmouse.livejournal.com/291848.html

The auction was on the evening Wednesday 21 January. I think Linus was surprised when the patch to change Tux to Tuz was submitted overnight, and a Linux with Tuz was shown booting at a conference keynote speech the next morning.

More on Tuz replacing Tux, if only for one kernel release, at http://www.itwire.com/content/view/23976/1141/

9. Zygote
    Linux

What the hell...

... is that picture in the article?

Since when does a Tasmanian Devil have a BEAK?

10. Jeff
    Alert

Tassie Devils != Cute

Have you ever tried to bathe a grumpy cat? Well that's about the same as a Tassie devil at it's most placid. They're vicious little beasties. It's a real shame about the face eating disease they all seem to be getitng :(

These animals are what I love the most about being Australian. Even the small cuddly looking ones will try to rip your face off.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Location for donations...

just 'coz it's not in the story...

http://tassiedevil.com.au/

The tumour's caused a really nasty virus... that's a clone... and transmissible. Chances of it jumping host to humans is next to non-existant. Still, it's a perfect opportunity to (a) save an endangered species (b) study clone viruses (c) study cancers

12. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Penguins and Tassie Devils

Both found in Tasmania.

I can see a connection here.

13. Mat
    Thumb Down

@Zygote

You *plainly* haven't actually read the whole article have you..............

Dumbo!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Taz please -- not Tuz

Being an Aussie - and given that the 'slang' name for Tasmania is "Tassie", please call the devil by the right name "Taz".

And yes I am sure that Linus didnt want to change Tuxs' name too much, but I would venture to suggest that most Aussies would know the Tassie Devil as Taz.

15. kain preacher

@Jeff

I was under the impression that every thing in Oz was potentially hazardous to your health. I mean just look at politicians

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Taz AC

As would anyone who watched Looney Tunes in the 90s...

Come one everyone!

He put the Taz in Taz-Mania,

Down in Tazmania,

Come to Tazmania,

We mean you!

WA-BA-BA-BLAH-BLOOBPTHB!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like