back to article Parallels: Bare-metal hypervisor in the works

Parallels, one of many peddlers of desktop and server virtualization products, says that it is still hard at work on a bare-metal hypervisor for the carving up of servers. While host-based desktop and server virtualization is acceptable for many workloads, in some cases - particularly mission-critical applications where …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TeeCee Gold badge

I see a problem.

Danger, Will Robinson^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HSteve Jobs.

"........and on Apple iron run Mac OS X as well."

With the virtualisation capable of presenting an acceptable environment for MacOS to do its stuff in, it can't be long* before some heroic hacker "tweaks" it to provide this functionality on any PC compatible. That'll go down like a cup of warm sick at the Cupertino fruit farm.

*My money's on within a week of the first beta shipping.

2. Jeremy Lloyd
    Thumb Up

Virtuozzo

We're an SMB software company and use Virtuozzo Containers, and we think it's the d.b.'s!!!

3. Brian S Paskin

For the home user?

All these companies are missing out on one set of users, the home users. A quad core chip can be easily divided into at least 2 VMs. While there are a bunch of free Type 2 hypervisors, the bare metal hypervisors costs a huge amount of money or support only very high end hardware.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@ For the home user

I seem to recall VMware has one in the works, but I could be wrong. My wife says so......often......

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@ Brian S Paskin

Sun xVM Server will be exactly what you are after - once they reach a binary release point.

http://xvmserver.org/download.html

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like