back to article Acer rides little netbooks to big profit

The ongoing global Meldown isn't melting everyone, as Taiwan's Acer demonstrated in its 2008 financial results, released Tuesday. In fact, 2008 was a growth year for the world's third-largest PC maker, with operating income up a hefty 38 per cent from 2007: income was $428.8m (£299.8m) in 2008, up from $310.3m (£217m) in 2007 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave
    Go

surprise!

is it a coincidence that they are the netbook maker selling the small cheap netbooks?

2. J
    Linux

Doing my part...

Given my two overseas trips this year, I finally caved in and ordered a mini-laptop (I refuse to call something almost as powerful as my 1.8GHz home desktop a netbook) yesterday. The Asus Eee 1000HE, for $400 -- after bumping the RAM to 2 GB, which might even make the little beast faster than my 1 GB desktop. OK, so I do have an old desktop, handed down to me from a friend a couple weeks ago (you should see how fast it feels running Kubuntu compared to my previous computer...).

Unfortunately, I was forced to buy the XP version, since there is no Linux one that is not a small, slowish SSD (actually, a small SSD + slower flash) version. I feel bad wasting money on something I don't need. But that's life. I will definitely investigate whether I can get a refund though, no matter how small, just as a matter of principle.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

On the flipside

I'm wondering how much of the target market now already owns a SCC?

I think it's possible that a fair percentage of those interested would have one by now.

The question is, when will they upgrade?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't know about their nebooks...

But the vanilla laptop I bought from them is far from being what was advertised.

Still very good value for money, but when I saw the salesman's pitch -after buying it- I was flabbergasted. "gaming and multimedia", really? It struggles with still images!

5. Mark

Common sense

At last a company gives the consumer what they want and then realises the profits. Qu'elle surprise. About time someone did it though.

6. John

profits?

lots of mentions of revenue/income, but no word on profits

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like