back to article Data Centers get 'black box' flight data recorder

It's like airplane's "black box" flight data recorder. But it's for data centers. Israeli startup Axxana has developed an black box recorder to store enterprise data in real-time, so that it's recoverable in the event of a data center disaster. When disasters strike data centers, data that has not yet been transmitted to a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Terrists

So now when terrorists fly a data-center into government buildings we will have secure backups, I love it!!!!!

2. Dan

Hmm

When vendors talk about complete datacentre loss these days, the WTC towers are often referred to. In that instance, even assuming that this thing survived the blast, fire, drop x hundred feet, and crushing by debris, how long was it before it could have been located to retrieve the data, at least a couple of months wasn't it? Maybe I'm just thinking too extreme... impressive bit of kit though.

3. Emo
    Paris Hilton

Wow

I'm sure the Palestinians will be ordering a few from their missile lobbing overlord neighbours.

Paris coz I'm sure she'd like some 500lb rods piercing her..

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

40G is not that much

Unless I've made an error in some very basic algebra, if you drop an object from a height of one metre onto a surface that is strong enough and hard enough to stop that object in 2.5 cm, then the object suffers a deceleration of 40G. Most postal and shipping services do worse than that ...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've heard of this before...

...did they get the idea from the "Golden Girl" episode of "The IT Crowd"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You gotta love their timing

Earthquake in Italy, collapsed buildings and rubble strewn streets: the perfect scenario for demonstrating the advantages of a device like this.

Should be easy for 3 or 4 guys to climb into the remains of a datacentre, lift out this 180Kg block and then carry it half a mile down the street to where the police cordon forced them to leave their truck.

/ I'll take two!

7. Duncan Jeffery

missing the point ?

I think some contributors missied the mention of an antenna and a cellular capability - maybe you don't need to recover it fully

8. Syneil
    Coat

Slightly confused...

"Axxana says the result is ... no data loss whatsoever. It won't however promise 100 per cent data protection."

Is this not a contradiction?

Mine's the one with the "Data Protection for Dummies" book in the pocket.

This topic is closed for new posts.