back to article Microsoft's Live Search to morph into Bing?

Microsoft has trademarked “Bing” and registered .com and .net domain names, in a move that some are surmising could point to the new moniker for the company's Live Search brand. For months many Microsoft observers have suggested that the software giant’s Live Search would be rebranded under the name “Kumo” after MS registered …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eponymous Cowherd
    Coat

I'm dreaming of....

a shite service

Just like the ones we've got to know.

Its not as good as Google.

And smells like a foetid poodle.

And makes you really want to throw.

(up that is)

Sorry Bing.....

2. Thomas Bottrill

Stupid question

"Microsoft said in a USPTO filing that it planned to use Bing for “providing a website and website links to geographic information, map images and trip routing”."

Wouldn't that point to it being the new name for Multimap, rather than Live Search?

3. Dave

At First Sight...

I read that as 'Bling'. Sort of appropriate, given the visual-but-useless crap infesting a lot of their products. Google definitely got it right with their top page.

4. aldude
    Thumb Up

Excellent

Excellent - we could do with some Google competition.

(Also, just to get the ANTI-MS BS in early: anything MS is evil, Live Search sux, M$, rant, foam...)

5. Dogbyte
    Joke

The road to Google

I can't see "Binging" someone passing into to language in quite the same way as "Googling" them has.

On the other hand, lots of jokes for the generation old enough to remember Bing Crosby: "Gone phishing..."

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Bing - Ice

My friend's first name is Bing. It means Ice in Chinese. Are they trying to compete in China with a "cool" name? "Ice Search" could easily shortened into iSearch, so where is Apple on this one? Is this a slippery slope?

7. Daniel

On the subject of phishing...

On Friday, web commic 'xkcd' makes this obscure joke about Higgs Excitation:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22higgs+excitation%22&btnG=Search&hl=en&safe=active&client=opera&rls=en&hs=DMC&sa=2

By the following Monday, Teh Interwebz looks like this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22higgs+excitation%22&btnG=Search&hl=en&safe=active&client=opera&rls=en&hs=DMC&sa=2

Now, how many of those are actively-targeted phishing websites, you may well ask? I don't know, but there's some pretty dodgey looking domains in that list!

In order to get web search right, you don't need to rename your service every three months. you have to write an algorithm that can survive this kind of banal madness.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You can call a turd solid gold

But it's still a turd

Bing ! Who the F^&K thinks up stupid names like that, all I see in my mind is some old 50s crooner sucking on a pipe and babbling on about christmas

9. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Gates Halo

Microsoft swallow the Purple Pill ..... Advanced Micro Dot?

"Microsoft said in a USPTO filing that it planned to use Bing for “providing a website and website links to geographic information, map images and trip routing”." ... By Thomas Bottrill Posted Monday 6th April 2009 15:04 GMT

Thomas,

There is one kind of trip which definitely needs one to know oneself and the greater environment better than just well, to ensure it isn't a bad experience you'll never ever want to repeat and/or try again, although if truth be told, to have a root route map for those journeys will make you rich beyond any measure in even those wildest of wild dreams. And it would certainly be a valid attraction for the likes of a Microsoft who have lost the edge to keep them alive and vibrant ........ rather than just settling for an easy chair and carpet slippers and everything just passing them by.

The down side of that sunny side of the street tale though, is make a wrong move, or take a dodgy hit, and you meet Mr and Mrs Insanity on Tour and feel right at home in their company..... which given the State of Play presently, would be a definite Improvement, for there is undoubted Madness and Badness in the Air, is there not ?

10. Mark Jonson

At least...

...it sounds better than Kumo.

11. Codge
    Stop

I think some one may have beaten them to it!

Silver Spring Mineral Water Company here in Folkestone, Kent, have been making a fizzy drink called Bing for donkeys years.

I think I may well drop them a line to let them know... Tee Hee!

Fight fight fight.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft's Live Search?

I had to google that to find out what it is...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

OK, if not Bing then what?

I must admit that my first reaction was: oh no, not another Zune.

Zunes, Bing, ... it all seems so middle class, much removed sorta aspirant hype with a touch of glitzy PR to create an aesthetic in, hmmm, 48 hours?

Maybe:

Ding

Cling

(the "ing" I like)

Ding this, Kling that, Bing the other ...

14. Goat Jam

Bing is Dead

So is Live apparently

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prior art - they're stuffed

Bing is already a product of CherryPal. Exactly when it is coming is anyones guess, but Microsoft might have mucked up on that one.

... or maybe they are deliberately trying to kill the Linux netbook competitor (another trademark spat there) before it begins.

And that's just one of them. There are companies called Bing all over the place.

16. Jay
    Stop

Rubber

Kumo instantly reminds me of tyres, Kumho tyres to be exact. Though I still think it's a better name than Bing. Or should that be Bing! ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like