back to article Apple plays catchup with Nehalem EP-powered Xserves

Apple has announced that it is delivering Intel's quad-core Xeon 5500 "Nehalem EP" processors in its Xserve server lineup starting today. Apple jumped the gun on the Xeon 5500 launch by a few weeks, saying in early March it would add Nehalem EPs to the two-socket Mac Pro high-end PCs. That Apple is making a two-socket Xserve …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Distributed Computing

I suppose with the XServe - if you need more oomph for things such as DNA modeling or rendering, you can bust out an Xgrid cluster?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

16TB

According to http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard, SnowLeopard will support 16TB of RAM.

3. Daniel Palmer
    Flame

Why?

Would anyone buy overpriced generic X86 hardware from Apple when they could get the same specs from a real vendor at better prices? I really doubt there is any application that would force you to run a rack of apple boxes.

4. Pavlovs well trained dog

@Daniel

because they be sooo beautiful

5. Scott Mckenzie

Because maybe they understand it better?

Just a thought... clearly demonstrating a lack of knowledge and direct experience with the Server/OS... just see the base footprint and memory usage of an install of Snow Leopard vs Server 2008.

Ease of install, configuration, stability etc.. it's not all rumours you know.

Or are you scared that maybe your job would become no longer necessary so have to continually slate the Apple products for fear of someone finding out about them?

6. richard
    Dead Vulture

ooh, a review of a server...

jesus christ, have you lot seen any paint drying lately?

7. Michael

@Scott

I second that, we run an all apple infrastructure and it takes a lot less man-hours than any of my friends running similar sized windows shops.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Slower than the PPC?

Does anyone buy these things since they switched from Power CPU?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like