back to article Microsoft hit with €9m fine over German pricing

The German competition authority, the BundesKartellamt, has fined Microsoft €9m for colluding with retailers to set the price of "Office Home and Student 2007". Suppliers are allowed to talk to retailers about prices but need to be careful not to break competition rules. But in this case, Microsoft staff and a leading German …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. N

Thats all very well but...

It just means another group of customers elsewhere will get shafted to pay for it.

2. Dave
    Gates Halo

Fine

"Microsoft has accepted the fine."

Really?

That must be the first time ever - can someone please check?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

The Convicted Monopolist strikes again

Lets give them old fashioned justice and none of this loose change fine nonsense. They used to tar and feather snake oil salesmen then throw them out of town in the old wild west.

4. Hugh_Pym

Does anyone keep track of how much...

...Microsoft has paid in fines over the years. I'd like to know.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Microshaft found guilty of trying to fix the market...

... this time. How often are they getting away with it?

Where's the icon for the chair throwing monkey sweat buffoon? I guess Bill will have to do for now.

6. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

What is the problem?

I am a bit confused about what Microsoft has done wrong here. I assume the real reason for the fine has been lost in translation, or someone has avoided the main issue to make the judgement look controversial.

I do not see what is wrong with a supplier and a retailer agreeing on a retail price. I support Microsoft's right to rent third rate software at exorbitant prices. If Microsoft want to reduce the price of a product for one segment of the market, their choices are to sell direct, or to form an agreement with a distributor to pass on a price reduction to customers.

Microsoft's financial support for the adverts looks questionable. If that support required a promise not to install open source office software on all PC's for free, then I could understand a fine. Unlike Vista, it is possible to buy a computer without a copy of Microsoft Office. People can choose a free product that will work for years, or to pay Microsoft so they can swear when the format of a document gets screwed up because someone is using the wrong version of MS Office.

Does anyone know what is really going on here?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Oh please...

if I wanted to read jingoistic tosh I'd read the Daily Mail.

Schiebt euch eure hurrapatriotischen Untertitel gegenseitig in den Arsch.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Quick, Pay the fine....

....before they realise that we made may more than €9M from fixing the price.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@Flocke Kroes

"Does anyone know what is really going on here?"

Yeah, MS have been up to their usual skullduggery and they've been caught (again).

This time they know they've got no legal defence, so they're paying the fine.

Personally, I think a more appropriate sentence would be to ban the product from sale in Germany altogether for a certain length of time. That would really hurt them and might make them think twice about using this kind of tactic again.

They have consistently broken the law, bent the law, used unfair practices etc and none of the previous fines have made them think twice about doing it again. This needs to change.

Blatantly breaching the law is not something that most corporations take on board as a strategy...

10. Matt
    Coat

@AC

I think you meant "Schiebt Euch Eure..."

Well if you're gonna be clever...

(Dons flame-proof vest)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What competition?

title says it all, serious home and student is cheap anyway, now the only person to summer is the consumer!!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like