back to article SQL Server 2008 SP1 washes ashore

Microsoft released its first service pack for SQL Server 2008 yesterday, which comes with a few subtle changes and exactly zero new features to boot. The firm said it had made some tweaks to the product with SP1, including the usual suspects of cumulative updates and fixes you would expect to see rolled into a service pack. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Codge
    Linux

Hahahahahaha cough

>Microsoft is introducing 80 per cent fewer changes to customer configurations compared to previous SQL Server Service Pack releases,” said the company.

Keep your fsckin' hands off MY configuration. I'm the one who does that!

>SP1 comes loaded with Slipstream to help sys admins install the product with the latest service pack in what MS described as a “single instance”, even though reboots are still required during the process.

Reboots! It's a fsckin' Database FFS!

I give up.

2. Phil

I call FUD

Reboots are not required by SP1 - although the install dialogue could be a little clearer: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/aaron_bertrand/archive/2009/02/26/sql-server-2008-sp1-setup-is-a-little-confused.aspx

I can't remember when I last had to reboot Windows following a SQL Server service pack. I would guess it would have been SQL 2000 service pack, about 6-7 years ago, but I could be wrong - it might be even further back.

As for new features - its a service pack, not a revision. Since when were new features required for a service pack?

3. Henry Wertz Gold badge

Service pack versus fix pack

Glad Phil cleared it up -- it sounded silly to install a copy of, well, anything, that is supposedly slipstreamed, and have to reboot more than once (at the most.)

Regarding service packs -- IBM had a clearer definition for this. Fix packs strictly collected up individual bug fixes. Service packs may add features. Microsoft doesn't have fix packs though...

4. Peter Mc Aulay

Finally!

A service pack which is really just a service pack and not a disguised feature push!

5. Joel Mansford
    Stop

@Phil

With regard to Service Packs containing features, the precedent for this was set with SQL Server 2005 which RTM'd with many 'features' either missing or opening acknowledged as missing - some of the replication features spring to mind. SP1 plugged many of the holes

With regard to SQL Server 2008 SP1 it would be nice to bring in some new features for instance how about support for Access 2007 file formats? Maybe SSRS could supprot Excel 2007 (SpreadML) export?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like