back to article Dell chases Sparc shops with migration offer

Server makers have been picking on the Sparc/Solaris base for so long that it seems normal. But with faith in Sun Microsystems being shaken after it rejected a takeover bid by rival IBM two weekends ago, and with Sun announcing its own "Nehalem EP" Xeon 5500 servers today, Dell decided that this was a particularly good time to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dell vs Sun

Why anyone would go to Dell as a serious Datacenter solution is way beyond me. Sun sells damn good kit, but there's always that question in the back of your head... Of course, that wouldn't concern me, as everything is open. If Sun gets bought out, then I would still have support for the forseeable future. If Sun goes it alone, they'll be around for the next 5-10 years at least. If the impossible happens and Sun just disappears, then there will be someone to take up the mantel of supporting the "legacy" Sun gear. No real worries there.

Solaris is the only real OS that can take advantage of Nehalem, and Dell has no clue how to do anything useful above the low to midrange of the market... Of course, Dell supports Solaris now, so perhaps they will push that on their Nehalem boxes...

There are no real technical questions against the Sun solution. It is all just FUD.

2. zvonr

Migration services... old news

back in time to 2002:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/08/15/dell_and_red_hat_plan/

it makes less sense now than it did in 2002...

If you are a solaris shop you have no reason to migrate to Linux.

Linux is technologically inferior, less stable and it is not cheaper.

Solaris is more reliable than Linux even on cheap hardware (thanks to ZFS's end to end CRC)...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Dream on Dell

Dell use inferior components and their support infrastructure is completely and utterly useless.

It would be a huge false economy to put all your eggs in the Dell basket - it's so full of holes you'll end up with nothing other than omlette.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Re: Dream on Dell & Dell vs Sun

LOL! I couldn't agree more! We had to buy some Dell blades since they're so cheap. Well, the reason they're so cheap, is they love to break! *sigh* Sun engineers their x86 hw like their Sparc hw. Dell can't compete against Sun unless they pitch Solaris. If this was another vendor besides Dell, I might take notice... *yawn*

5. Dan JOhnson

Solaris-to-Linux?

Yeah, right. Get real. Nobody in their right mind would do this, since Solaris is very vertically scaleable and Linux isn't. But then, Dell has always been about horizontal scaling, since you sell more cobbled together commonity boxes that way. QuickTransit is only an interim solution for IBM. They are porting Solaris to both the z series and Power lines. Transitive is doing the work and IBM bought them last summer. You can run Linux on IBM gear, but they don't really support it and they don't really recommend it on anything by their x86 gear. My IBM rep always giggles and rolls his eyes when anyone starts talking about running Linux on IBM iron.

6. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

Lol @ the Sunshiners

It's getting beyond comic, now. Just post any article with a faint whiff of anti-Sunshine and they start falling over themselves posting FUD and vacuous frothing. What will they do when Sun has finally kicked the bucket?

/pointing, laughing, enjoying the clown show whilst it lasts.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like