back to article IBMware priced 40% higher on Nehalem

If you are thinking about running IBM's systems, database, or middleware software on one of Intel's new "Nehalem EP" Xeon 3500 or 5000 series chips, brace yourself for some price increases. For nearly three years, IBM has been selling selected software from its Software Group on various server platforms on a quasi-performance- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Goat Jam

I can think of a better solution

"The point behind the PVU scheme is to lump processor types and families together and give them a single rating so IBM's Software Group sales people don't have to resort to performance benchmarks to price the company's software."

Stop pricing stuff on the performance of CPUs altogether. That'd be easier now, wouldn't it . . .

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

The easiest solution

to this problem....is not to buy IBM software in the first place :)

3. Jim
    Stop

Yes, stop pricing software on CPU capacity

This has been a PITA for IBM mainframe customers for years. Furthermore it is exactly the kind of marketing model which led to customers simply shifting the jumper wire after the CE left the building and then fudging the metrics to hide it. Just sell the software for what it's worth. Hardware, too. This kind of stuff just alienates customers.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

it's better than what Oracle is doing

Oracle raised software prices last summer between 18% database and 50% for weblogic.

Oralce prices all SPARC at .75 even sparcIII. I would not expect Oracle to change this either, why would Oracle give a multi-thousand profit break to try to sell an OEM'd box from Fujitsu.

If I was looking at a Sun M-class box i would be calling IBM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like