back to article Sun mates MySQL with more iron

With the preview of the MySQL 5.4 database coming out this week at the MySQL Conference and Expo in Santa Clara, you would have expected Sun Microsystems to be talking up the integration of its systems, storage, operating system, and database even if Oracle hadn't come along to buy the company on Monday. This week, Sun …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. William Hoffman
    Paris Hilton

At these prices ....

Are the prices averaged out per blade? So the mention of $20,000 for the first bundle would actually be $400,000 for the 20 blade configuration with storage. Doesn't make much sense otherwise ....

2. David Halko
    Happy

@William Hoffman: At these prices ...

William Hoffman asks, "Are the prices averaged out per blade? So the mention of $20,000 for the first bundle would actually be $400,000 for the 20 blade configuration with storage"?

That is a good question. I was spot-checking some prices with some standard discounts:

A 10 slot chassis chassis sells for around $3.8K U.S.

A 2 Intel Xeon E5520 (2.26 Ghz) Quad-Core and 4 Gig RAM will go for about $3.8K U.S.

A 2 Intel Xeon X5570 (2.93 Ghz) Quad-Core with 24 Gig RAM will go for about $6.5K U.S.

A 10K 146Gig HD will go for around $200 U.S.

Let's estimate $4K per 10 slot chassis, $5K per blade, 1 large/fast drive storage - 20 blades would be:

$4Kx2 +$5Kx20 + $.2*20 = $112K U.S.

This is just an off-the-cuff estimation. Newer processors with additional hard drives will raise the price, but most likely not by 3x or 4x.

3. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

RE: David Halko

"....prices with some standard discounts......" I'd suggest you stick with list or explain the discount - are you quoting the price as given to you by Sun, or because you're a Sun salesbod and that's the topline discount you give one of your customers?

4. David Halko

@Matt Bryant -- discounts...

Hi Matt,

You ask, "list or explain the discount - are you quoting the price as given to you by Sun"

It is a price I can get when I purchase a Sun server off of their web site. I would not get a big-fancy discount that larger companies would get through a VAR, or substantial discounts that governments would receive.

A purchase of 2 chassis with 20 blades would not fit on my credit card, anyway.

Hope that clears things up... it is good price, not a great price, or the best price.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like