back to article Sir Alan Sugar hails £30m 'equitable' Viglen win

Viglen, the UK PC maker, has won a Office of Government Commerce contract worth up to £30m to supply public sector organisations with 70,000 PCs. Its chairman, Sir Alan Sugar, is very pleased indeed. “We are delighted to have been awarded this contract on an equitable basis”, he says. Does this suggest to you that he thinks …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Mistakes

I just hope that they dont make the same mistakes they did on the school networks they setup. I mean whos bright idea was it to use all the same technician passwords on ALL of the n3tw0rk5s.

2. amanfromMars Silver badge

Sugar Candy ...... Honey Trap? A CynIQs iView

A box, is a box, is a box. The important bit of the equation is the Program Installed to Report back to Base with Input Hoovered up.

3. Tezfair

it will end in tears

Whats not mentioned is that the gov put out the contract via a tender auctioning site and Dell / HP were trying to outbid each other when Viglen put in a last minute low offer. Not really a hard contract won.

"Energy Star compliant desktop PC, notebooks and TFT screens". Which I assume is the bottom end quality. Maybe I should have ordered a few PCChips mobos, whacked in a crappy cpu, bit of linux and put a tender in. Could have done it for £20m!

But then again the gov has never been consistant in buying their IT. "Anything will do" seems to be their motto.

4. Andrew Kirkpatrick
    Unhappy

Linux as standard...?

Ah we can but dream...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

British jobs for British workers...

This reeks of protectionism.

Not saying it's a bad thing though.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

wait for it...

Can't wait for the first tabloid reports of a government worker leaves a confidential-information-filled PCW9512 on the tube...

You're fired!

8. Flugal
    Paris Hilton

70,000 PCs for £30million...

....that's over £428 per PC.

Could pay less than that buying individual PCs at retail prices for higher quality machines.

Glad out taxes aren't being squandered then.

Paris - the government could at least spunk our hard-earned over her.

9. Dave Stark
    Unhappy

Oh God

Viglen? Memories of grotty Windows 95 machines in libraries coming back to me.

How did they make them so ugly?

10. Craig

Re: 70,000 PCs for £30million...

Roughly £430 per PC, but don't forget logistics, deployment and support costs. I'd be very surprised if the contract is purely a box-shifting deal.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

The next task on the Apprentice

Guess what the task is gonna be on tomorrow's episode of the Apprentice...?

"Right, you lot, I want you to come up with a proposal to shift a load of beige boxes to some men in suits. The team who secures a multi-million pound contract will win. The team who doesn't do a deal will lose and have to face me in the boardroom, and then one of you will be fired."

If the winning team is Empire then Srallen could be in for a big shock when he tallies up all the figures... that £30M contract could end up costing him £50M at the end of the day.

As long as the winning team didn't have Northern Monkey and Shouty Woman then I won't mind.

Paris cause she reminds me of the blonde girl with the horse's teeth.

12. Neil

Viglen?

They're still about? I thought they disappeared years ago.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@British jobs for British workers...

Apart from Swallan's chirpy cockney accent, how much of Viglen is still British anyway? The hardware and software certainly won't be.

14. Elliot
    Linux

Whilst we're at it...

As someone who currently works in the forward-thinking public sector, I'm just hoping there's someone out there who can provide us with some kind of telephone that's also able to handle emails. Preferably in some kind of futuristic silver plastic casing.

Now wouldn't *that* be something..?

15. Tawakalna

ha ha ha

<points and laughs>

Viglen LOL

16. andy gibson

Viglen

still around and do our Microsoft licensing at a very good rate.

17. NHS IT guy
    Unhappy

That's not actually a bad deal...

...well it is and it isn't.

The Dell Optiplex 755 (2GHz Pentium-D, 1GB RAM, 80Gb HD, DVD-RW, 17" TFT). This machine currently costs £379 (exc VAT & shipping) direct from Dell.

The EXACT same machine to the NHS... *drum roll please*... £780! Goverment contracts are just an excuse to milk the tax payer dry with minimum repercussions.

The longer I stay in the NHS the more depressed I get at how much I as a tax payer am getting a raw deal.

18. KEITH JOHNSON

FAO SIR ALAN SUGAR AND VIGLEN

DEAR SIR SEE www.digitalbooks.org.uk for my tesla gyrostore battery wiring diagram and other items. ADAPTING IT TO A 20 GRAM MODEL SHAPED LIKE A DIABLO WITH A MAGNET ON TOP AND MAGNETIC BEARING AND 3 SPIN UP LINEAR MOTOR COILS ROUND THE MIDDLE CAN BE DONE WITH A SLIDEAWAY DRAW OFF COIL ON TOP, POWERING THE HOT END OF 120 DISSIMILAR METAL SEEBECK EFFECT LOOPS WITH SOME CURRENT ADDED TO KEEP THE COLD JUNCTION COLD BY THE PELTIER EFFECT / SEE T TEC PELTIER COOLERS USA/ WOULD WITH ENOUGH SIDE LOOPS PROVIDE ENOUGH POWER FOR A LAPTOP TO RUN FOR 24 HOURS FROM THE FORMULA 1/2 i ww where i is moment of inertia mass in kg x effective radius squared and w is angular rotation in radians per second for a spin of 5000000 rps this is roughly 2.5x 10^14 joules, plenty for a laptop. ps in letter change ipod to laptop in SIR ALAN SUGAR'S LETTER ON digitalbooks.org.uk YOURS FAITHFULLY KEITH JOHNSON WA10 6 LG ST HELENS MERSEYSIDE

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Elliot

"Now wouldn't *that* be something..?"

You know what would really make it? If it could play Spectrum games too.

Can't go wrong.

20. n

I wonder...

How many photoshoots with GB did that cost?

It would have been a £50m contract.....but he refused to do the election campaign video shoot with gordo.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like