back to article CSC freezes UK pay

CSC will freeze pay for all UK staff this year in a bid to survive the recession, managers have been told. It's the latest in a series of cost-cutting measures for the outsourcing firm, which have included compulsory unpaid leave, Christmas bonuses being replaced with a mince pie and extensive job cuts. Pay was also frozen in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Apathy

Yeah all this does is breed apathy, now in a bit later, leaving a bit earlier and no incentive as the bad and the good get the same level of reward.

Meh!

That sums it up really.

However we have ben told in the same verbal that IBM who made screeds of money are freezing their pay, and our masters have indicated at least they are being honest, unlike IBM who will soon be 'culling' many in the UK with a pay freeze for their best year ever...

meh!

Off now to pub for a bit.....

2. Frank Bough
    IT Angle

Just One Thing...

...who or what is / are CSC?

3. grandvizier
    Paris Hilton

Predictable, but still....

At least we minions can rely on El Reg for vital communications.

Timing is perfect....

Week 1 - Gallup poll to see if we have a 'best friend' at CSC

Week 2 - Decent results returned ('We exceeded our expectations for earnings per share and cash flow'). No communication about pay.

Week 2 and a bit - Find out via El Reg that there's no pay rise.

Paris? Cos she didn't get paid to be publicly shafted either.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

About standard across the industry

Can anyone name an outsourcer that is actually giving pay rises at the moment? I can't think of one that isn't freezing pay and cutting contractor rates, some despite remaining profitable.

I may not have a pay rise this year but at least I have a bonus to look forward to, unlike my old CSC colleagues.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Still waitng to be told!

As a CSC employee, I'm still waiting for someone to actually tell us this officially!

So still rumour mill here then..... but then that seems to be the CSC norm nowadays.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Frank Bough

I guess your not in the IT business then? or you'd probably know.

CSC are a rather large outsourcing company, 90,000+ employees, based in the US but with offices in most countries, with lots of contracts including development and support work for various US defence agencies (B2 bombers etc), for NASA (Space Shuttle software) and so on.

They are also in the UK doing things like BEA Systems, NHS, Royal Mail, BNFL etc. etc.

7. Dennis
    Boffin

@Frank Bough and Computer Sciences Corporation

CSC is: Computer Sciences Corporation provides consulting, systems integration and design, IT and business process outsourcing, applications software, and Web and blah blah blah

Or to put it another way they contact IT Technical staff to various big companies around the world

When everybody else in JaguarLandrover IT were obliged to work 40hrs aweek for no extra pay (or find another job) CSC refused because it would have been too complicated to rewrite all their contracts.

Good team effort.

8. Dennis
    Happy

Christmas bonus

Additional

CSC did provide a load of very nice mince pies at Christmas.

'Tesco's Best'

I took a box home and I don't work for CSC. I just have to employ them.

Can I have an icon for CSC get paid more than I do, so *uck em.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

What's new?

CSC strikes again! At least they are consistent! To be honest, its the same pretty much everywhere. I jumped ship a few years back to a decentish company and even our pay negotiations are under review. Like someone else posted here. At least I still get a bonus :-)

I must admit I like taking a pop at this Chicken Sh!t Company and the way they completely and utterly shaft all there UK workforce... At least the TUPED ones not working out of Aldersh!t ;-)

I bet morale is lower than a snakes belly in a wagon rutt! Or will be.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@Frank Bough

You've not heard of CSC?? Guess you haven't heard of Google either? Or you could have taken less time than it took you to post that looking them up.....

Paris as she probably doesn't know how to use Google either.

11. Lord of Dogtown
    Black Helicopters

Bonuses

Most 'Bonus' schemes have targets, have yours risen in a soft market to an untenable level, if so then yes you can get a bonus if you make 10 gazillion dollars, and if you could do that you would not be working here, or have I got that wrong too.

Essentially its all offshore now, like cars and the like, so IT will see a steep decline, and pay cuts, this will filter through to people not buying anything, I for one am re-negotiationg payments with creditors and not buying any UK made items, sticking to the cheapest if i need something.

I realise this will kill the Global Economy, but its dead now anyway is it not?. The economy will ecover when all countries are at their lowest wages whch with UK stagnation and India growth is at the moment 4 years, yep 4 years till India and the UK are on level pegging.

Dont believe it ok then.

Last year your house was worth £200'000 which was $400'000, or 243'000 Euro

This year its worth £170'000 which is $243000 or 180'000 Euro

Your salary is the same

In terms of buying power you just lost over 30% of it.

Now if your country makes things, then this is fine, if its like the UK and the best money to be made is to screw the electorate (Banking, Politics) then not so good.

Whilst the UK is shrinking, India is growing

The uk will shrink again, the currency and your house will be worth less.

At the same time the Indian economy will appreciate and they will get wage rises usually @ 15%

A uk based programmer today is circa £30k and will be as there are no wage rises

An indian based prigrammer who is remote is on circa £15k in todays money

Now if they grow by 10% and we shrink by 4% thats 15% per annum

in 5 years, the circle is squared.

Thats how the wealth of nations works, and CSC and IBM know this, Accenture too (They are based in a tax haven for good reason).

So you will have ajob, and you will have bargaining power, the retail and banking industry will die, it has to before we grow.

We also need to get back to basics, not much point in being a salesman when nobody wants to buy. Also not much point i n moaning about pay when your government allowed Business to dictate where the jobs go, mist companies could close their US and UK operations tomorrow and be no worse off.

In the meantime, im off to watch some Government Ministers clearing their moats of reciepts.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Motorola

As one of the many poor minions offered a "chance" to move to CSC in 2003 when they got the outsource contract to support Motorola this is yet another example of why I left.

Considering the mess they made of that particular contract Im surprised they are still in business at all. Mines the one putting the money he is earning because he hasnt had much of a pay cut this year

13. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

I am so happy!!!!!!!!!!

I am so happy I never worked for them.

Their hiring practices demand the best skill possible but will give you the lowest pay possible.

It really is not worth looking at their job listings.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@ Dennis

"When everybody else in JaguarLandrover IT were obliged to work 40hrs aweek for no extra pay (or find another job) CSC refused because it would have been too complicated to rewrite all their contracts Good team effort"

Why would you think they'd change their employees contracts, for one I'd be pissed off if a company who used to employ me dictated to the company I now work for my contract.

Hope you enjoyed your FREE mince pies

Paris likes mince pies

15. Dave
    Paris Hilton

Younger people

This is fine for those who are getting paid their worth, but for younger people, the pay rises are there to get them up to what they should already be earning, not as a "well done". A blanket statement of no rises seems a little unfair and will probably result in a lot of younger staff moving around to get their worth.

Thankfully I'm no longer one of the underpaid youth, and our company are doing rather well and still giving raises based on merit :o) I do feel sorry for those working at the globo mega corps though.

Dave

16. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Meh

I've dealt with CSC extensively in the last year through their involvement in the NHS IT project. They're unimaginative, unresponsive and overall pretty damn useless. I'm sure they must employ some good people, but I've never met them or seen any evidence of it.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Same in the US

It was announced at an "All Hands" meeting last week that the GOS (Global Out Sourcing) division in the US would not be getting any pay increases this year.

AC @ 10:57 GMT is exactly correct. I have seen a lot more people showing up late, leaving early, "working from home", etc.....

El Reg, you need to update your CSC logo, remember the re-branding we did?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/06/csc_rebrand/

18. Buggerlugs
    Coat

I'd just like to point out

This is NOT A PAY FREEZE, we have been reliably informed that there is no Pay Freeze in place, it is just that we will all be be getting a 0% increase this year,

Looking forward to my mince pie bonus though, NOT.

Mine's the one with both hands in pockets, head down, slinking out the back door.....

19. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@Meh

Many tens of thousands of British workers would regard your opinion of CSC as excessively generous...

20. Frank Bough
    Dead Vulture

Whoosh! Just try...

...replacing "CSC" in the article with "***". It's meaningless. My point was that this is a very poorly written article. More of a note, in fact.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

SOP for CSC

After several years @ CSC I realized that there was NEVER enough $ to pay people what they're worth. If you weren't smart enough to negotiate higher salary at the beginning you'd never catch up.

There is ALWAYS a division that loses money...so the cash gets moved around and the other divisions don't meet their targets either.

The company finds wonderfully creative ways to keep their staff underpaid. Even during the good times the attitude at all levels was "Don't like it? Leave!"

So I did. Best move I've ever made.

22. elderlybloke
    Alert

Bonuses(Mk2)

Dear Lord of Dogtown,

Your sum on house value looked a little strange to me.

200,000-170,000= 30,000

30,000/200,000= 0.15= 15%

can't reconcile that with your " over 30% "

Don't understand "the circle is Squared"

We don't have this expression down here in the South Pacific, so I can't comment on that sum,

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like