back to article NetApp says no one wants to buy NetApp

No-one really wants to buy NetApp. There are five possibles but none of them has a problem that buying NetApp would solve better than any alternative. Really. That's NetApp CEO Dan Warmenhoven's view. He listed the five possible suitors in a question and answer session at NetApp's Sunnyvale HQ this morning. In reverse order, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anti-trust issues would not stop EMC

If EMC wanted to buy NetApp, anti-trust concerns would not block the acquisition. EMC and NetApp combined would still have significantly less market share in the storage market than other IT companies have in their markets (Cisco? Microsoft? Intel?) and those companies have not had any major anti-trust problems. It's stupid for Warmenhoven to think an acquisition couldn't happen because of anti-trust; it wouldn't be an issue at all.

The truth is that EMC isn't interested in buying NetApp, primarily because EMC execs are genuinely just not all that impressed with NetApp. I can understand why Warmenhoven didn't cite that as the reason.

2. Barry Burke
    Dead Vulture

Not a new crusade

NetApp has been gunning for EMC for years. Confusing the market with 2 (or is it THREE) independent and incompatible de-dupe solutions isn't necessarily a winning strategy, especially for a company that touts "Unified Storage" as their differentiator.

Nor will be a half-hearted OnTap cluster-based array...V-Max has already obsoleted that notion before it ever saw the light of day. Scale-out requires a time-proven SW infrastructure: Enginuity has been scale-out for over 18 years.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EMC

I am not saying I know everything. But at a number of very large accounts across the US there are massive EMC to HDS migrations going on. In my opinion, EMC could be neglecting its main line of business.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Here in the UK too

EMC are getting dumped for HDS/HP storage solutions all over the place.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like