back to article Ubuntu brings Google Android apps to netbooks

Canonical has unveiled the first fruits of a project that could put applications for Google's Android on a netbook sooner than the search giant can deliver itself. Ubuntu's chief sponsor has demonstrated an execution environment that lets applications built to fit the screen, power, and hardware of an Android smartphone on an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Camilla Smythe

What?????

"Microsoft and Intel have reportedly taken steps to carve up the netbook market to suit their product roadmaps and business-unit plans.

DigiTimes said the companies had "reached a consensus" to limit the size of a screen for netbooks running Windows to 10.2 inches. The move means OEMs that go over this size would not qualify for the low-priced versions of Windows 7 - Starter Edition - for netbooks."

Naturally I'll be wrong but isn't this pretty close to acting as a cartel?

2. Jay
    Linux

Go Ubuntu

Can the governments of the world not do something about wintel? Fixing a formfactor to pricing and the chipmaker is involved ..... can you say Antitrust?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3 App Limmit

The 3 app limit was dropped last week (22/5) from windows 7 starter edition.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/22/microsoft-dropping-three-app-limit-from-windows-7/

4. Mark
    Jobs Horns

More illegalities?

"DigiTimes said the companies had "reached a consensus" to limit the size of a screen for netbooks running Windows to 10.2 inches. The move means OEMs that go over this size would not qualify for the low-priced versions of Windows 7 - Starter Edition - for netbooks."

Would this not constitute yet more market manipulation for the EU to fine?

5. James Dunmore
    Stop

Hardly Rocket Science

Good idea, good stuff, but not ground breaking...

I downloaded and installed the android SDK, and had an android phone interface running on my (Ubuntu) Desktop within 5mins. Now, not saying it's easy, but surely it's just porting that emulator, and making it display in native desktop, rather than in the emulator window?!

(okay, tweaks to the input interface too, but generally speaking, not ground breaking as I said!)

But on a positive note - should be brililant - bring more apps to both linux desktop and the android phone.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cupcake rolling out in the US this week?

I got it in the UK about a week ago and I've had a security patch since then.

But the idea of android running on a netbook is certainly appealing and I think it would scare some people because I hate to admit it but the simplicity of the Android front end is pretty impressive.

7. Steve
    Thumb Down

This has antitrust written all over it

I thought the 1GB RAM limit on netbooks sold with XP was bad, now they are going to force hardware vendors to limit screen size.

Windows runs like a snail compared to OSX and Ubuntu on the Atom, and with the 3 apps limit I can see Windows doing a lot of damage to the netbook market.

It's easy to say "well buy the Ubuntu model", but as with the Dell Mini 9 the only way to get a netbook with a larger SSD is to get the Windows version and reinstall the OS.

8. W

This does indeed look

suspiciously like abuse of their respective positions by MS & Intel.

Too cosy by half.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows 7 RC

I'm not an MS fan but I am running the RC on my NC10 netbook and it runs very well even with 1Gig of RAM, it's faster than XP was i'm actually very impressed with it. Unfortunatly i'll no doubt be unimpressed with the price and will end up installing UNR again, which i pretty nice but still not a slick.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will they ever learn

Sound like Intel and Microsoft will be paying for a few more cocktails and bar parties in Brussels will they ever learn.

As to the idea of Android apps running on linux, great, I will be more interested when it happens on windows, which is where Google probably concentrating its resources as it a far bigger market.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like