back to article Corporate social responsibility - ya gotta love it

Three papers plucked from the Reg White Paper Library this week - all about aspects of governance, regulation and all round squeaky cleanness. Six technology tactics to promote corporate social responsibility This paper from Epicor lays out the conceptual ground rules that underpin corporate social responsibility (CSR). The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

I'll let my ignorance shine through here...

Rant on!

WTB is "Software as a Service" all about?? Software is applications that run on computing hardware to do a job? The SW may be complicated, pervasive and integrated but it still only helps people to deliver a product or service. In itself, it is not "a Service" is it?

The term "SaaS" sounds very much to me as though it comes from those scoundrels who perpetrated an abuse of the English Language when they re-purposed the word "Technology" to cover any old blx dressed in new, sexy cloths.

Rant off!

I'm a dinosaur so am a bit slow to catch up with these modern trends and vocabulary.

2. Tom

@AC

Well, according to my ITIL book, a Service is "A means of delivering value to Customers by facilitating Outcomes Customers want to achieve without ownership of the specific Costs and Risks."

So according to that definition SaaS is: a company would buy that wants to get the outcomes a particular piece of Software can produce, but doesn't want to assume the direct costs and risks normally associated with purchasing, installing, running, and maintaining that software. So based solely upon the denotative definitions of the words, it is not illogical.

And if you think about, back in the early days of computing, most of it was done on a sort of SaaS basis. You'd buy the service from somebody with the mainframe, and run it on their mainframe according to the agreement.

I suppose in some instances, there still might be some business cases to be made on that model. What I see as the major problem is that these days SaaS seems to be intent on pitching things like replacing your word processing suite with Saas. And to me, that makes no business sense at all.

But yes, they do seem rather intent on mutilating the English language, and both sides of the pond seem to agree about that point.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like