back to article Wanna buy an old PC factory?

We're all used to hearing about factory closures these days, but have you ever wondered what happens to a manufacturing plant when the jobs have gone? The answer is here, where industrial auctioneer Sweeny Kincaid is selling the contents of a "Former IBM PC Manufacturing Facility in Greenock" via an online auction. Greenock …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

There you are Lord Sugar...

That's where you can build the however many hundred thousand Viglen machines for that Gov. supply contract you won a few weeks back. Might even be space left over for a herd of apprentices or a personal TV studio for yourself.

2. Pierre Cazenave
    Coat

Going, going, going...

Someone's having the diorama away:

http://www.sweeney-kincaid.com/Sales/Live/PlaceLiveBid.aspx?SaleID=1294&LotNumber=369&CatMode=1&PageNo=280&strBidStatus=A

Mine's the one with the artificial plant display in the pocket.

3. richard 7

What the catalog deosnt show

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cycleologist/sets/72157611597220928/

Spooky

4. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

MBI

Think ill buy this and the scale model of the plant and call it MBI, must be some good stuff in there, a deep fat fryer too :)

I think IBM may still have plants in um....nope I give up...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

@ Richard 7

The flickr photos show the inside of the Sanmina-SCI side of the factory.

When Sanmina-SCI acquired the business they also acquired most of the manufacturing buildings which was approx. 700,000 square feet of factory. This is now almost completely demolished.

From what I can see the Sweeney Kincaid auction the article is about is showing equipment from buildings in the other half of the site that was not sold to Sanmina-SCI

Anonymous for obvious reasons

6. b166er

Bulldoze it

I live opposite that site and it's a bit of an eyesore, any chance they'll bulldoze it once they've flogged the tat?

What's that? You'll see what you can do! Cheers!

7. Mike Flugennock
    Coat

so, who d'ya think's bidding on the conference chairs?

<church lady voice>

Could it be....BALLMER??!

</church lady voice>

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Bulldoze it

So you forgot that there are only a handful of houses that face into the offices that are left here, your for the 'malky' pal! :D

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@richard7/anon

The Samina side is all bulldozed, its gone!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernsmt/3600964016/

Used to be this big :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98346459@N00/360359175/

Nowt left now, the buildings left standing are being sold 'inside out'

I have no idea where the DataCentre will go unless there is a Greenock in India

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

That's ok

CEOs and their minions are still getting their bonuses.

Ex-Employees are still getting their boneses.

11. John Roberts 1
    Thumb Up

Memories...

A lot of that kit appears to be from the main site rather than the manufacturing bit that Sanmina bought. I'm pretty sure the site model was in the Canteen area, and a lot of the soft furnishings are from the Club House (onsite pub!).

Was a few years back, so I might be wrong.

12. Lozzyho

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be

That was a cracking club house, and a cracking snooker table if my memories of visiting with my dad when I was 10 are correct.

Ah, nostalgia.

Bit of a sad indictment on the Scottish (and British) economy if they can't sell off ANY of the (well maintained) buildings to anyone for manufacturing, warehousing or offices. Brown and Salmond - what a team!

13. Mike Gravgaard
    Unhappy

Interesting...

Some interesting stuff for sale there...

Did they gut the building though? The are UPSes, rackmount cabs, boilers, kitchen equipment, ceiliing mounted, CRT TVs, drinks cabinets and a snooker table.

I was hoping to see some chip robots and surface mount stations for sale - shame.

Mike

14. Martin 6 Silver badge

@Nostalgia ain't what it used to be

Build a new plant and you get a government hand out to pay for it, redevelop a brown field site and you pay VAT.

15. Ben Cooper
    Black Helicopters

Some of this looks familiar...

They don't seem to be selling off the massive automated warehousing system, nor the stacks of Psion II handhelds ;-)

The exploration on Flickr was me, by the way - black helicopters in case IBM/Sanmina take offence...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

@Ben Cooper

Ben they have DEMOLISHED the automated warehouse system, all the modules and its all the way back to the 'Reception'.

The stuff for sale comes from the car park / club and the units the 'datawarehouse' was going to go into, so makes you wonder why you would sell off £1'000'000 UPS systems and build a £2'000'000 Data Warehouse no?

And yep no money in developing brownfield, best to tear down trees and use loads of diggers, the whole 'green' 'eco' thing is just another government tax.

Bet you they get a grant for the DataWarehouse after this very public 'up yours' :)

17. Martin Usher
    Black Helicopters

Silicon Glen?

Ahhh -- those were the days. When "Office Space" was a satire on meaningless jobs in the tech industry rather than a nostalgic look back at the time when there were jobs to be had.

Spent the day in San Jose recently. It was looking a tad down at heel as well. Was a very large tech company, a household name, was impressed by the time-capsule like nature of the buildings (you could tell when they were built by the decor), the suspicious absence of employees and what looked like prepping of more technology for the move overseas. Makes you wonder what you've got to do to make a company magnate love you (on second thoughts, I'd rather not think that......)

18. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

And the direction of...

Global Free Trade continues.

19. John 61
    Pirate

the joys of foreign investment

This is what happens when things become unprofitable and cheaper elsewhere. Sometimes you lose out. I bet Sir/Lord Al won't be stumping up any dosh... but then again... You never know.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like