back to article LSI hauled to court for trade libel

SanDisk has got so hacked off at LSI's claims of patent infringement and threatening letters to SanDisk's customers that it's suing the company for trade libel. In its suit, filed last Friday in Northern District of California's US District Court, NAND flash and digital music player supplier SanDisk says LSI Corporation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

Binarisation of Audio?

"..the decoding, synchronising and binarisation of MPEG audio data,.."

I thought 'binarisation' (binarization) was a technique applied to images to give you a black and white (0 or 1) image. Very useful when applied to scanned text documents or for use in automated vehicle number plate readers, etc.

How would they use binarisation on audio data?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ frank ly

They are referring to the process of converting the audio data into its binary representation which is then read by the computer hardware.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

A quick punch

To the economic groin provides a real incentive to get this fixed up right quick.

4. frank ly

@AC 11:47 re. @frank ly (binarisation)

"..the process of converting the audio data into its binary representation which is then read by the computer hardware."

That is what is usually known as binary conversion/encoding. It's not patentable in itself, I was doing that back in the mid '70's. The words used all describe operations on existing digital (i.e binary encoded) data.

I suspect they have done some 'definition creep' to the word 'binarisation' to mean......whatever they want it to mean.

This topic is closed for new posts.