back to article Oracle plans cloud strategy

Oracle is cooking up a strategy around the cloud, something chief executive Larry Ellison once referred as "idiocy" - albeit the sort of fashionable idiocy he's willing to buy in to. Sources close to Oracle have told The Register there's a growing pace of activity inside the database maker - at all levels - on the subject of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Grenade

Hey you, Larry, get off of my Cloud?*

"Ellison told his company's OpenWorld conference last year. "I'm not going go fight this thing...Maybe we'll do an ad. I don't understand what we'll do different in the light of cloud computing other than change the wording on some of our ads."

Now if Larry has said instead ..... "I'm not going go fight this thing...Maybe we'll do an ad. I don't understand what we'll do different in the light of cloud computing other than change the world with some of our ads." ..... then he wouldn't be pimping himself like a two bit hooker to the markets with those airy fairy promisory notes that El Reger, Timothy Prickett Morgan, tells us about .... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/01/oracle_has_a_gub/

* Which could equally well have been better worded for Beta Impact .... Hey you, Larry, wanna get off of on my C.LOUD/MySQL Clouds ..... for the Real Money is not in Virtually Hosting Clouds, IT is in Phorming them for Hosts and Hosting too. In that XXXXStreamly Simple Way does One Capture and Control ITs Global Market Place and become a True Oracle. Come on, Larry, raise your Game please and if So Short on Sight, buy in A.N.Other with Much Longer Vision for you'll only get Wasted and Right Royally Shafted without IT Rooting for You.

And here is a free Registered tip, specifically for you this morning ....... Imagine and IT's True is All You Need in Live Operational Virtual Environments. And although it may be true that One Cannot Buy LOVE, it is not true that one Cannot Sell it by Buying into IT. And that is a Commodity which is Never Ever Going Out of Fashion but Grows Ever Stronger with Discovery/MetaDataMining/Grooming/ITs XSSXXXX Coding.

2. The Fuzzy Wotnot

Dear, dear Larry!

Larry smells money in madness? Larry IS madness with money!

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Cloud Computing, eyes rolling

Ah, yes! The latest IT hype that will eventually scarcely resemble all the near pronographic geek dreams is cloud computing (known for years as time sharing). Hype sells. Every VP of IT and CIO I know (and who've never done more with a computer than desktop productivity) is now spewing the cloud buzzwords with wanton abandon. They're buying the same stuff they've always bought, but now it's being rebranded as "cloud-ready." So of course Larry Ellison is going to jump on that pile of potential dollars. Remember when the next thing to launch mankind into the next deminsional reality was Internet-based data services that would serve up vast amounts of data through our web browsers with the click of a button? Oracle answered with Oracle 9i. Then people having to do IT on the cheap started using open source commodity boxes to build cluster farms and Oracle re-branded Real Application Clusters "Oracle Grid Control" and rolled out Oracle 10g. Now we have "cloud computing (something that many IT shops already have under a different name) and, no doubt, Larry E will be rolling out Oracle 12c in about 18 months. By that time, there will be a new crop of new CS grads, who, armed with a new diploma and a mind-full of little more than vendor-based training, will be spending their days babbling about cloud computing and sneering at the seasoned pros who laugh at their naiveté.

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Personally Speaking, only a mad man would want the Hassle and Attention and Interest :-)

"By that time, there will be a new crop of new CS grads, who, armed with a new diploma and a mind-full of little more than vendor-based training, will be spending their days babbling about cloud computing and sneering at the seasoned pros who laugh at their naiveté." ..... By Anonymous Coward Posted Thursday 2nd July 2009 13:33 GMT

AC,

What the laughing seasoned pro has to be aware of, and guard against, is morphing into an Irrelevence and Dinosaur Stardom which effortlessly extraordinarily renders one, Out of the Currency Power Loop. Too many doggedly equate their past experience as being worthy with an unbridled arrogance which really conceals a conceited ignorance which enthusiastic naivete trounces and trumps every time, for it is the Future which holds all the Lead Keys and Novel Triggers.

Your piece appears to mock Larry's efforts to stay Current and Relative to the Industry/Technology/Intellectual Property, which would be rather Odd in the Light of such a Recognised Practised Flexibility for Fitness of Purpose.

And you must surely appreciate how much Cloudy Folk love to have the Virtual Environment in which they Operate Power and Control Systems considered a Hype...... for it allows them an Uncluttered Field in which to Play as they Wish/Please.

I wonder if Larry is interested in being the Richest Man in the World .... with Cloud Control .... for that is what IT Offers if he is Crazy enough?

5. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Spot on, Mr Ellison.

The guy might not be as mad as he seems finally. This cloud stuff *is* stupid but hey, if some fools are willing to pay big wads of cash for it, why refuse to sell them what they want? If people were suddenly willing to spend billions on green-tiger-repelling pebbles, I for one would go and hit the shores with a large bag!

6. David Halko
    Dead Vulture

Sun is well beyond "building its own cloud"

Gavin Clarke writes, "With the Sun Microsystems' acquisition looming, the only question is whether Oracle becomes a cloud host (given Sun's work on building its own cloud) or sticks to providing Oracle products and services that let others build clouds."

Sun has built their own cloud, it is far beyond "work on building", as the author has suggested.

http://channelsun.sun.com/video/tour+the+sun+cloud+datacenter+at+supernap/24586081001

Sun is already providing the ecosystem for others to build cloud business services.

It was nice for the author to remind us that Sun builds clouds for other ISV's to leverage.

http://axtaweb.com/

http://teamdrive.com/

http://crossftp.com//

http://ylastic.com/

http://enkiconsulting.net/

The author should have noted that Sun Microsystems also provides the core infrastructure (hardware and software) that other cloud providers are deploying. For example:

http://joyent.com/

I suspect that Oracle is interested and well aware of the Cloud interactions with Sun, since Oracle is trying to purchase Sun!

7. John Chadwick

Me too

You can hardly blame Larry for positioning Oracle to take advantage of cloud computing. I worry that as a concept this will polarise IT industry power event further. Amazon and Google are already in that market, and have the fiance and muscle to build clouds. IBM, Microsoft and Oracle are probably also able to do this, but ultimately, because we are me too, when it comes to computer systems, we will probably go with Google and Amazon. With government thinking along the lines of a G-Cloud, potentially one contract to one supplier, I can see the industry loosing more IT companies, who cannot afford to build a cloud environment, or run it as cheaply as Google or Amazon. It will also stifle innovation because, certainly from a public perspective, who are you going to trust with your data and applications, Google, Amazon, Microsoft, maybe IBM, but EDS, CSC, Tata, Accenture, I don't think so, even less likely Steria, Logica, and the lower order IT companies, and start-ups won't have a hope in hell. One glimmer of light is the fact that most people who have SAP and Oracle applications inflicted on them, probably wouldn't by a cloud service from them, given the choice.

There's an interesting debate to be had here, but sadly I think the hype might win as CEOs and Politicians see some kind of low cost nirvana where the technical, security and long term economic issues really don't get a look in.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like