back to article Cops swoop on e-crime gangs after banks pool intelligence

Two London-based cybercrime gangs have been busted, following an agreement by banks and credit card companies to share intelligence on network attacks and malware. Early success for the new "virtual task force", which is set for public launch next week, comes after years of pressure from investigators frustrated at the lack of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sureo
    Thumb Up

Hooray

Let's hope this catches on across the world. Get rid of the slimebags.

2. Jon Thompson 2

Ah, at last!

Why has this taken so criminally long?

3. Ray0x6
    Flame

Security through Ignority

Suggestions to any executive bankers reading:

1) Don't use Windows for ATMs

2) Don't use Windows for office desktops

3) Don't use Windows for anything, actually

4) Don't use Mifare chips on your cards

5) Don't you think it's time to ditch DES?

6) And to Smile: buy a proper fucking Verisign certificate and sort out your fucking website you fucking fucknutted fuckwits!

Hope this helps.

Lots of love,

Ray

4. Hayden Clark Silver badge
    Unhappy

"increase anxiety about online services among customers"

There, That's the real, only reason for the secrecy.

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Meanwhile .... Underground, in the Basement Vaults.

"Their secrecy stemmed from fears that widespread knowledge of their vulnerabilities could be exploited by criminals or competitors" ..... And whenever the vulnerabilities are systemic, and known to "competitors"* as criminal, and exploited, are such exploits criminal or is that just the banking business as normal, albeit with new players, raising the stakes for the banks to cover to stay in the Lead of the Great Game?

Or is it the smarter individual bank/banker/launderer who then think it wiser to embrace the vulnerability testers and "employ" them, in the understanding that the enterprise banks with them, rather than with anyone else?

Thus is both the virtual poacher and the pseudo gamekeeper macro-managing global stock assets and increasing its value by virtue of such an accomodating flexibility which doesn't abuse the vulnerability, to catastrophically collapes the system with its general revelation? It does though seems somewhat unethical not to fix the flaw rather than enrich oneself obscenely with it, but then again, whenever one's reward is always going to end up being banked anyway, everyone get what they want in the closed loop.

And thus would it be a Madness not to reward anyone who may have cracked the flaw and hacked into its Base System, for it creates the Life Blood of the System ... Currency Redistribution and Flow for Goods Purchase and Industrious Manufacture and Natural Nurture/Animal Husbandry and Vegetable Growth.

* Anyone care to define ....competitors?

6. Eddy Ito
    Pirate

Headline: Banks earn PhD in Duh

Amazing, the banks might learn they are all using basically the same software sold to them by their mutual friends <aside> who also probably work with or are the data thieves. Then again, maybe they just all laid off their internal secrecy staff.

Somehow I think this should have previously fallen under some "obstruction of justice" statute. After all, willfully withholding evidence from a criminal investigation would land a citizen in the pokey on collaboration or conspiracy charges at least.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Go

'nuff said

<polite applause>

Now explain in words of no more than 2 syllables on one side of A4 why it is important ensuring that politicians of all parties get a copy.

'nuff said?

</polite applause>

8. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

It's not my fault.

I thought long and hard about cooperating with the police and other banks, and finally decided to be a hero and do it in spite of the hardships I have to endure, and at great risk too.

One day you're telling the police how your system was compromised, the next your customers are twisting your words to make it seem like the theft of their money really *wasn't* their fault after all! Ungrateful bastards the lot of them, anyone would think that money belonged to them the way they whine about it when it goes missing.

Picture was the closest resemblance I could find to me, but the halo is a little less shiny than mine.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like