back to article Anti-trust bomb falls on LCD market

In all probability the anti-trust bomb that landed on Philips and LG Displays desk this week, courtesy of the European Union, is unlikely to be the only one dropped by the European Commission in this recession. In order to engage in price fixing, LG, the global market leader in small LCD displays, must have entered into price …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Hands off, EU!

If prices are too low, it's market dumping and unfair competition.

If prices are equal all around, it's a cartel.

If prices are greater, it's monopoly or price gouging.

No matter what you do, they can catch you.

It's time the EU kept its hands off the actually productive part of the economy!

2. scub
    Headmaster

Economy

Dont our energy companies price fix? How come the far east should get it in the pinhole? Are they worried they`re economy is leaking off to the far east as it has done since trading began :o)

"Not for all the Opium in India"

3. TeeCee Gold badge

Flash memory prices.

I suppose that the current trend for sticking hundreds of gigs of the little beasties into boxes with a SATA port on one end could be important here. This coupled with the mass dash of the storage vendors to outdo each other on how many terabytes of such they can then shove into a rack could easily take up any slack due to the economic downturn. One multi-terabyte flash storage sale is a heck of a lot of iPods, cameras and USB sticks.

If it weren't for the recession taking the shine off the consumer market and putting a crimp in Data Centre investment, I'd have expected flash to be on a par with unobtanium-plated rocking horse shit around now.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LCD screen price plummeting

I just bought a new HP 23 inch LCD screen, HP 2309m, 1920 x 1080, HDMI, Digital, VGA, nice inbuilt speakers, very very good quality 3000:1 contrast.

For 230 Euros.

It's not even the cheapest, they do a HP one with 1000:1 contrast and fewer ports for 189 euros, that's before you start going for the crappier brands.

Plumet plumet plumet.....

That's less than half the price of a year ago, although I suspect a lot of the cause is the recession.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

400 million.

So they get fined $400 million, how much of that will the government be giving to the people who payed the inflated prices?, oh thats right, nothing.

Normal people go to jail for breaking the law. why does nobody in a company ever have to take responsibility?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Anonymous Coward

It's relatively cheap too because that's a 16:9 panel rather than a full 16:10 (i.e. 1920 x 1200) - do you know what type of panel it is? May not be as good as you think it is...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like