back to article What's happening with XIV?

It's eighteen months since IBM bought Moshe Yanai's XIV business in January 2008, with much subsequent puzzlement from industry commentators and trashing-by-blog from competitors. Some people reckoned it was a failure. That seems to be the wrong view. IBM chief financial officer Mark Loughridge has said that IBM has gained …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Sales numbers are misleading for XIV

I work for a large financial institution and we now have 1 XIV, we didn't however purchase it or even want one. IBM has been giving these things away in order to claim they have XIV arrays on the raised floor at enterprise accounts. In our case they included the array for "free" in an enterprise software licensing deal. I'm betting the majority of the accounts IBM claims are either not using the array or using it in a lab/test environment.

2. David S
    Coat

What happened to XIV...

Wasn't it superseded by XV?

The leather jerkin, thanks. With the short sword.

3. Butch Kaniecki
    WTF?

I've seen this IBM marketing strategy before....

On the AS/400. Great technology without true IBM marketing support. The bottom line with them is not the technolgy but keeping the higher-end customers on the higher-end products. Mainframe revebue has significantly higher margins than AS400 did back in the day, and I see the same scenario playing out here. XIV will find a niche, but will probably never live up to its true promise and potential.

Just an observation from watching the

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

So far so good

We got a XIV 3 or so months back. We needed more storage for our VMWare boxes and other smaller applications. At the time, we had VMWare environment on AMS1000 units and was looking at the AMS2500 along with the XIV. To be fair, the main reason we went with the XIV is the price which was much lower than the AMS2500 with 75 TB's and HDS software.

So we migrated the VMWare boxes off of our AMS1000 units and the migration tools that come with the XIV was slick. Anyways performance has increased but can't exactly tell since the windows guys just say its much faster but nothing concrete. Next time I'm going to get some performance numbers before and after to getting something more concrete. The other cool thing is the GUI looks kind of like a Mac and the redirect on write snapshots (which we take every hour) works great.

Its still early, but very SATISFIED customer.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

XIV sales is the place to be in IBM

XIV sales are 2X their quota. Not too many other hardware teams are 2X their quota. XIV is sold by IBM's direct sales force so why waste money on marketing. EMC keeps trying to dump on the product, but it was created by their Symetric inventor and they passed on it because it would have eliminated clarion and undercut Symetric.

EMC....your lies, deceit and FUD is no longer working.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@ AC , XIV sales...

Glad that you know so much about Moshe Yanai and EMC's prod roadmap, not!!. Fanstatic FUD. Infact while he was with EMC he had a cut of the sales revenue of each and every Symmetrix array, not a bad deal, seeing as EMC are the 600lbs gorilla in the external disk market. Moshe Yanai parted with EMC in 2001, then a few years later XIV came on the scene. Moshe has not penned a symm design in anger for about 10 years. The DMX is a totally different beast to the bused based arrays of Moshe's era. On the other hand I hope that IBM will back XIV and give it a fair shot at the market.

This topic is closed for new posts.