back to article Windows 7 prepped for August 6 release

Microsoft has admitted there will be a Windows 7 family pack, while revealing it planned a phased release of the client's code ahead of October's official launch. The company has also hinted strongly at a release-to-manufacturing date for Windows 7 of August 6. TechNet and MSDN subscribers will be able to download English- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"The program was panned by customers"

Entirely understandable - Vista is just a nasty OS. Oh sorry, I misunderstood... you meant the Family License pack for Vista. :D

Seriously though, if someone was to offer to let me get an additional pair of Windows 7 Pro licenses for - as an example - less than £150, then I might be tempted. Especially if said licenses were permitted to be run as VM's under VMware.

I'm seriously contemplating giving Mr Tesco £90 for a Windows 7 Pro (IE-less) edition at the moment - which for a dedicated Linux geek is staggering, but the release candidate has been impressing me in use.

2. George 24
    Alert

Available world wide?

The M$ family pack. Will that be available for residents of the U$A only or will M$ extend the offer to the rest of the planet earth?

Only time will tell.

3. James O'Brien
    WTF?

So can someone tell me please

WTF?? So basically I preorded (yes at 50% off but still) Win7 Pro to be one of the last in line for it? Fuck you very much M$.....asshats

4. F Seiler

a title

"LeBlanc also confirmed Microsoft does indeed plan a family pack for installation on up to three PCs but that it will only be available in selected markets."

Makes sense, as clearly families exist only in a few countries...

5. Stuart Elliott
    Pint

Happy Birthday to me, happy birthday to me...

August 6th is my birthday, how fitting I get a new toy to play with via my MSDN subscription.

\o/

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Selected markets my backside!

"LeBlanc also confirmed Microsoft does indeed plan a family pack for installation on up to three PCs but that it will only be available in selected markets."

ie, developing countries such as the United States, South America, Africe, etc - those in Europe can prepare for Windows7 by offering their body parts up for sale now ....

Fail, because regionalization never works.

7. Shane McCarrick

Family pack only for certain markets?

If they really only allow certain markets a family licence- it will be give Ubuntu such a boost. People have put up with Vista crap for far too long- Windows 7 is simply what Vista *should* have been. Now we have a bewildering variety of Windows 7- with a bewildering variety of licence proposals for end users. Even Mac OS has only 3 options (and two of them are server varients). It really is a case of divide and conquer...... I got my pre-orders in, hope everyone else did too!

8. Defiant
    Thumb Up

Sad

I love reading the Linux geeks attacking Microsoft. You have an OS that is free yet the majority can't stand it so you spend all your time knocking Microsoft LMAO

I can't wait for the RTM of Windows and yes I'm a proud Windows user. I also have a life so don't spend all my time on Binux articles knocking it because you guys put people off anyway

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get the RTM and re-arm it

For those that have pre-ordered, just install a copy of the RTM and just rearm it a couple of times until you get your valid key.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

cheap

I pre-ordered a £44.99 copy yesterday from PCworld, I noticed today they are all sold out.

11. Sooty

family pack!

i work in IT i have 3 pc's myself! The family pack sounds like it would be a nice option for a full upgrade, if it's released in europe, and if it stays at that price.

but it's only really useful if it's mixed, ie if i can install the 64bit version on my 2 64bit machines and the 32bit version on my netbook. I'd really hoped windows 7 was going to be the big step towards 64bit that vista was supposed to be, but most people will probably stick with 32bit, despite the majority of processors now being 64bit.

i have picked up with vista that you can't use a 32bit key to install from a 64bit disc.

12. yargnad
    WTF?

It's not ready, seriously.

Been using every build up to 7600 so far. It's still not ready. Hibernation and sleep issues persist, as well as multiple monitor issues. There are also Wifi issues, but it's sure to be related to sleep issue. WMP, resource sharing and the new Libraries feature are all still wonky at times, in fact, there are just still too many problems to list out.

I fear they will still have a bit of a headache with this one, although I don't suspect it will be as bad as Vista at launch. Tired of Linux, tired of UNIX, tired of Windows. Where is a real OS alternative?

13. cjmUK
    Paris Hilton

UK Family Pack?

Chances of the Family Pack being available in the UK?

Probably a greater chance of Paris becoming a nun...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Net Congestion

So I guess there is going to be a lot of traffic on Bittorrent around August 8?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Net Congestion alright

.....Bittorrent traffic on the 8th to get Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Fedora and the rest when they find out the previous two days what a steaming pile of dog poo Vista 7 is.....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like