back to article IBM, Novell to slash Linux prices for mainframes

With System z mainframe revenues down 39 per cent - and MIPS mainframe capacity shipments off 20 percent in the second quarter - IBM is keen on boosting mainframe sales. And it wants to use Linux as a lever. Commercial Linux distributor Novell has a more than 80 per cent share of Linux revenues on IBM's mainframe platform. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. E 2
    Go

Economics

Who said you can't make money off open source software?

Who's your daddy?

2. Kebabbert

Whats the point with Mainframes?

IBM boasts that one Mainframe can consolidate 1.500 x86 servers. But this assumes all x86 servers are idling at a few percent and the Mainframe be fully loaded at 100%. In the same vein, I can claim that my laptop can consolidate 10 x86 servers - if they idle. But no one would believe my laptop could do the job of 10 of the x86 servers.

----------------------------------------------

It is also well known that 1MIPS Mainframe == 4MHz x86 CPU.

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-390@vm.marist.edu/msg18587.html

These figures are from 2003, when Pentium 4 roamed the earth.

For the new Intel Nehalem which is maybe twice as strong, the updated figures would be 1MIPS == 2MHz x86 CPU. This means that a 10.000MIPS CPU is equivalent to a 20GHz single core x86 Nehalem = 5 GHz Quad Core x86 CPU Nehalem. In other words, the Mainframe CPU sucks badly performance wise. You are better off with one overclocked Nehalem, or two standard Nehalems. I wonder if the Nehalem is cheaper than a IBM 10.000MIPS cpu?

In fact, you can emulate a Mainframe with the program "Herkules" on your laptop. Here is more information about Linux x86 servers vs IBM mainframes:

http://blogs.sun.com/jsavit/entry/once_again_mainframe_linux_vs

3. Paul M 1

Re. Whats the point with Mainframes?

One word - "throughput".

Do you really think that raw processor speed is a meaningful indicator of performance in this market?

4. Gaius
    FAIL

@Kebabbert

If you did mainframe I/O on an intel box it would catch fire...

5. Kebabbert

Good I/O

yes everyone knows that Mainframes have good I/O. But that doesnt help to consolidate 1500 x86 servers when they start some work. I call IBMs claim a bluff.

Anybody wants to buy my laptop? I can consolidate 10 x86 servers on it. I will charge only 10.000USD. A bargain! Come on! Email me. But dont expect it to allow all x86 servers to do some work.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like