back to article Cray lands $70m super deals

Cray has won two big supercomputer deals with a combined value of $70m just as it reported decent sales and a profit in its second quarter and raised its guidance for 2009. The first deal is with Oak Ridge National Laboratory, upgrading its Jaguar XT5 massively parallel Opteron-Linux super to the latest six-core Istanbul …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Solomon Grundy

ORNL

I've been to Oak Ridge several times and I've got to say it's probably the nicest data center I've ever seen. Acres (it looks like anyway) of raised floors and the noise levels are amazing - you can talk in a pretty normal speaking voice, none of the screaming that's necessary in most data centers.

2. ToddRundgren

Cray super upgrade

Your headline of "beats IBM" is completly bogus and lazy journalism. Who in there right mind would buy a system from Cray then 2 years later buy upgrade CPUs from someone else? Similarly you ain't going to buy a Bluegene, then ask Sun, sorry Oracle for some new CPUs

3. Dick 3

Saving The Base OR A Win??

Seems to me that this is merely a follow on upgrade to TWO long established Cray installations. Is there a hidden message in the article????

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Go Cray!

Does my heart good to see a real supercomputer company get some recognition!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Point?

and the point of all these calculations? Seems like the dept of Energy is using a lot of energy to calculate "things" but then building coal powered generating stations......

6. Morten Bjoernsvik
    Pint

HyperTransport != QuickPath

Cray's Seastar interconnect uses Hypertransport and is completely integrated with the opteron memory-hierarchy, Switching to intel's Quickpath needs a major redesign of the entire memory system and low level system calls used in XT.

Quickpath may look better on paper(because it is designed ~7 years later), but it is still pretty immature compared to HyperTransport, at least in the >1000 cores range.

The CX1 is just a motheboard mod (Like Tyan) with a fancy deskside chassis, and AFAIK it only runs windows, has nothing to do with the XT-architecture. It is just an attempt to create a new market.

7. Andy Barber
    Joke

Yes but...

...can it emulate a Sinclair ZX81?

8. ToddRundgren

@Morten

The CX1 is a box of INtel MBs with standard IB connectivity. It will run Win HPC as well as Linux.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like