back to article Marines mobilize to block Web 2.0

US marines have been blocked from accessing Web 2.0 sites on the Corps' own network, pending a review of security. The Corps is reported to have forbidden access to sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace while it draws up a waiver system for permitting access during the course of work. The ban is expected to last a year …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christoph
    Grenade

Grooming?

"Social networks have become important tools used by the US military for reaching out to potential new recruits."

Grooming kids on the net for sex is utterly illegal. Grooming kids on the net to kill people is officially approved.

2. Charles 9
    Alert

Best to be cautious...

Not blaming the USMC for this at all. Last thing they want is for some Private Snafu to let something slip at a critical moment. Communications in military installations and battlefields are usually tightly controlled...as experience dictates, for darn good reasons.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Christoph

Don't you mean

Grooming kids on the net to kill themselves and western citizens (ie suicide bombers) is illegal. Grooming kids on the net to kill middle-east citizens is officially approved.

4. Frumious Bandersnatch

Grooming...

I wonder shall the NZ government be censoring US military recruitment sites on that basis?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Huh?

And why pray tell did they ever allow this access in the first place? I am moved to ask as this is a mistake that many organizations make. They think somehow that everything has to have access to the public internet in order to operate.

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Re: @Christoph

That's a terrible simplification which completely fails to take into account the detail surrounding these issues.

Israel's in the Middle East you know and I'm not sure that killing people there is on the officially approved list, although I believe that you might get a blind eye turned in certain bits of it.........

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC 20090805 2105

It's misleading to compare 'Grooming kids on the net to kill themselves and western citizens' (leave aside that many suicide bombs explode 'out there', killing the middle-east citizens) with 'Grooming kids on the net to kill middle-east citizens'.

Let's not get into the legality or moral justification of being there, but if western armies were fighting middle eastern (or Russian, German, French insert preferred opponent here) armies then that would be a fair comparison.

A better comparison is grooming suicide bombers to blow up (for the sake of argument western) people with grooming KKK/white supremacists to go over there and do the same thing. Who thinks that's reasonable?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like