back to article Hackintosher emerges from bankruptcy

The on-again, off-again slugfest between Apple and Hackintosher Psystar has taken yet another turn - and this one puts the feisty Floridians in a bit of a bind. The US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida has granted Psystar's request to dismiss its Chapter 11 bankruptcy case. But there's a twist: The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Escape plans?

I note the hacking-tosser has expanded to Guatemala. Are they planning to relocate there in hopes of avoiding legalities?

Please keep us updated with how many people actually show up to support them. Maybe other popular folks like the SCO execs can put in an appearance.

2. Mad Hacker
    Grenade

Too bad they are probably inept

So the best possible outcome of this escapade would be to legally end EULAs which would be a great thing. Some EULAs go so far as to disallow you to resell the software or to post negative reviews or performance information about the software. It would be great to finally have a legal judgement declaring EULAs 100% non-binding.

Unfortunately I doubt these people or their lawyers are skilled enough to win this one.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bottom feeders

Cue predictable outrage from entitletards.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

cue predictable

comments from peoplewhothinkitsfunnytoputtardsafterawordtards.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where are we now?

What is the current position on the running of OSX on non-Apple hardware, both legally and technically?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

@Bottom Feeders

What's your name Andrewtard Orlowskitard?

7. Thomas 18
    Unhappy

You can buy our car...

but if you lift the bonnet we are going to arrest you.

8. ThomH

@Mad Hacker

I doubt EULAs will ever be 100% non-binding, but it would at least be nice to have some sort of legal standard according to which it is possible to determine whether individual clauses are void.

Yeah, key topic, I vote we all donate to some sort of fund to build an island on which Psystar, the Opera guys and SCO can go to live. Preferably with no outward internet.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Not a big deal

"So the best possible outcome of this escapade would be to legally end EULAs which would be a great thing. Some EULAs go so far as to disallow you to resell the software or to post negative reviews or performance information about the software."

1. That won't happen

2. This case is about many thing, but EULAs are actually pretty low down on the list

3. Just because a clause is in an EULA, it doesn't mean it's enforceable. Individual terms can be deemed unfair and not enforeable.

EULA is another name for terms and conditions. Everything comes with T&Cs, some with clauses which will be unfair but never tested in court. Imagine a world where T&C's were banned - not going to happen is it?

This is not a major case. It's just one company sueing another for losses. It happens all the time.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EULAs...

Has anyone ever read one? Seeing some of the comments here makes me think I've broken at least a handful of the terms.

Reminds me of an old Onion story about an unassuming middle class man who unleashed a devastating virus upon the world's PCs, on investigation it turned out it was triggered by clicking "No, I do not agree" on a EULA.

AC for obvious reasons.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

EULAs...has anyone ever read one?

Hey, I may be a married'w'kids, Appletard, but even I have a life!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OS X on non-supported hardware

"What is the current position on the running of OSX on non-Apple hardware, both legally and technically?"

OS X runs just fine on non-Apple hardware, although it's against the terms of the EULA. Apple tends to be pretty relaxed about this sort of thing (although don't expect any technical support from them, obviously). Selling a Hackintosh with OS X installed is an entirely different matter, of course. Expect a letter from Apple Legal if you do this.

13. steogede

If only...

If only Pystar could make money out of news stories and flame wars - then they would have a great business plan. As it is, they are doom to die horribly.

14. Richard 102

Think about it

If you buy OS X and hack to run on a homegrown box, Apple doesn't really care. You bought OS X for $129 (or $29 this time around, yay!), which they wouldn't have gotten otherwise. You probably got it to tinker around with, test drive, poke around here and there ... remember, Woz and Jobs started off selling to hobbyists. They're cool with it, but don't, of course, expect much help from customer support or a genius bar.

Now, if you do that and start reselling the computers, then they got issues. Their cost of doing business will escalate as people call in for support. Their reputation drops as the quality is iffy, and Apple has built their reputation for quality goods; it's a large part of what keeps them profitable even in this consumer market. And the people you're selling to are far more likely to be people who would buy a Mac, thus cutting under their profit. And just how much are you returning to Apple for each copy of OS X sold?

Different cases. One is being a hobbyist, the other is using the OS in a way that is against the EULA and undermines Apple's business.(And this from a pro-business libertarian, I'll have you know.)

15. Anonymous Coward
    Welcome

FL Heat

While the lawyers may discover the "scorching heat" during the discovery phase, they will enjoy average temperatures of 70°F (21°C) during the trial phase in January.

Attorneys may be troglodytes unable to appreciate subtleties such as "weather", but I welcome them to the peninsula just the same. Spend up that Cupertino money while you're here.

Accusations that Psystar is being bankrolled by a third party with ulterior motives seem flimsy with the timing of recent events. Best of luck to psystar. You may not win, but hopefully your actions will encourage others to read EULAs before they purchase an — overlord, sorry, OS.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like