back to article Axed factory workers try to drag Dell into court

Former Dell workers axed from its Limerick factory are going to court to try and secure better redundancy packages from the US PC giant. The Dell Workers Committee is bringing a case covering 2,000 workers to Ireland's Labour Court, the Irish Times reports. The committee claims that when Dell announced its plan to cease …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ted Treen
    Pint

The joys of the EEC

Perhaps our Irish friends might (hopefully) reconfirm their original decisions regarding the European Constitution - sorry, "tidying-up treaty".

2. shawnfromnh

Layoffs

Since they're laying off personel then maybe Dell should layoff the importing any more PC to Ireland since if it's business is so slow then they must not be making sales in Ireland.

I imagine if they closed the plant there and then started importing them from China or some other country with 3rd world pay scales for labor that would just be immoral, a slap in the face of the laid off worker and the community in general since it is going to have a ripple effect just like any large plant closing does on local business.

It would be especially immoral if they didn't cut out all executive and managerial pay raises, bonuses, perks, and stock options for the entire company before laying off entire factories and crippling local communities. I also know that anyone that knows someone from that factory will probably never buy another Dell because of the bind Dell is leaving these employees in out of sympathy.

3. Neoc
    Stop

Hmmm....

I'm in two minds about that:

(1) A company is well within its rights to decide that a factory/store/whatever is not worth keeping open.

BUT

(2) Did it shaft the workers/office staff in the process (for example, by closing the factory in such as way as to allow it not to pay redundancy)?

If (2), then by all means take the company to court. But if the problem is that Dell simply didn't bother to consult the workers but followed the "termination" clause of the contract, then it's a case of no-go - there is nothing in any employment contract I've ever read that says the company has to consult with you first before closing a branch/office/whatever.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Ted

WTF has this to do with the EEC. This is a US company shitting on Non-US staff.

Pretty standard practise.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Who'da thunk it?

Dell moved in when the going was good and they got all sorts of incentives and then pulled out when the incentives dried up and times got a little hard. Wow. How shocking is that?

I wouldn't hold my breath, happen I was an ex-employee.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dell package isn't that bad

Six weeks pay for every year of service up to a max 104 weeks (so, two years pay for the long termers who set the place up). As I understand it a lot of the annoyance is that a big chunk of the payout is statutory anyway, and the workers were expecting something well over and above.

The size of the statutory element may give people a clue as to why, despite generous corporation tax benefits, companies are no longer flocking to Ireland's fair shores; labour costs are ridiculous and dole payments (that the country can't afford) are positively sybaritic by UK standards. There are still an awful of people in Ireland who just refuse to accept the new realities, and are quite definitely living in a place in Egypt.

7. Tidosho
    Stop

Not the first time, Dell!

This isn't the first time, nor will it be the last time Dell withholds info from staff. I used to work for them in Limerick a few years ago, and the amount of stuff I heard from other staff rather than management themselves was atrocious.

This, and their crappy marketing & manufacturing procedures (non standard hardware, locking customers into the brand for parts etc) made me quit working for them, and go with Tiny and Evesham. Getting parts for Dells back then wasn't as easy as eBay, not many people sold them on a third party basis. Since then I've done freelance for various companies, and none have been as bad as Dell. Industry standardization is the key, including staff motivation and information.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like