back to article Dig deep for Microsoft's Windows 7 advice line

Microsoft has made much of how software and hardware written for Windows Vista will work with Windows 7. And that would he great - if Windows Vista hadn't been such a monumental flop and the majority of Windows applications today weren't still tuned for Windows XP. The good news is that Microsoft is piloting a service for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. denco

Monumental flop?

"Microsoft has made much of how software and hardware written for Windows Vista will work with Windows 7. And that would he great - if Windows Vista hadn't been such a monumental flop ..."

Really? A "monumental flop"?

"Top 5 Operating Systems in United Kingdom ... Aug (20)09"

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-GB-monthly-200807-200908

Vista - 40.18%

OSX - 6.59%

Linux - 0.81%

2. Player_16
    Coat

At last...

That bit of assistance that I always needed. This was something that MANY individuals in IT (and the like) has always been requesting ... and over the phone too. That's thinking outside the square. Good on ya, Microsoft!

The sooner, the better.

(Now where did I put that mortgage...)

3. Sooty

I'd have to say

It'd be a pretty last resort before calling microsoft in to help with a problem with an in house application. You;d have to have exhaisted every possible option yourselves, even if it was free!

I think we've had to call them in only once, and that was only when we couldn't get some microsoft tools and IBM tools, supposedly using exactly the same standards, to work with each other. And that was only to get a microsoft rep and IBM rep in the same room at the same time to try to resolve what the incompatabilities between their two bits of software were.

4. DZ-Jay

So wait...

It's a service for developers attempting to migrate their applications to the new platform? From the start, your article seems to imply that end users will be charged for support when encountering an application compatibility issue...

So, which is it?

-dZ.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Oh FFS

Why is it that when Apple changed their entire hardware platform, the software still worked but when MS change a little part of their OS we have all kind of greif!??

6. Peter 39

Microsoft stores

... or else you live close to one of the new Microsoft stores.

The line will stretch out the door and down the block and MS will say "Look how successful our new stores are"

7. mrweekender
    FAIL

@denco

Yeah monumental flop..

I think we're talking relative to their own previous OS's, so compare it to the Windows XP launch then come back.

Everyone in the industry knows it failed as a product, even when Microsoft tried to make it impossible for manufacturers to sell their newest laptops without it, the public just revolted. Vista was/is just a massive stinking turd in the swimming pool of OS's - everyone didn't want to be in a fucking mile of it. We'll wait to see about Windows 7.....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like