back to article Russia drops XP investigation

The Russian competition regulator has dropped an investigation into Microsoft's decision to stop sales of XP in favour of Windows Vista. The Federal Antimonopoly Service began the probe in June. It accused Microsoft of stopping XP sales to to retailers and OEMs (Original Equipment Makers), even though there was continued …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Microsoft

So, they've been up to no good again, have they?

It doesn't surprise me.

Please can you stop printing articles that say "Microsoft has done a bad thing" because that takes up about half of the Register and I just don't have time to trawl through the headlines, never mind read all the articles.

2. adnim

How generous is that?

"Microsoft Russia told Reuters that they would start an exchange programme to switch copies of Windows Vista for XP until the end of 2009."

Exchanging a useful, stable and reliable EOL product for a not so useful superseded one.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

XP

Considering how many 'dodgy' sites carry the .ru top level, I'd guess that our Russian friends would still have no trouble getting hold of a copy of XP.

4. Tony Paulazzo

Good point

>The regulator also investigated why OEMs and retailers were charged different prices for the same operating systems.<

Shame the EU didn't investigate something sensible like that instead of the stupid IE thing.

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Grenade

For Liquidity to Flow ......Release Currency for Spend. Sue Bankers for Chaos*

... and Sequestering of QEFunding?

Given the Facility XP delivers Programmers to Take Over AIRemote Control of Core Net Services, a Fully Patched Well Used XP Clone would be a New Turing BetaTested Copy for Virtualised Servicing and Replacement of the Toxic Perverting Banked Wealth Driver with ITs Obscenely Rich Pickings for Spending Model ........ to Satisfy Customers Wishes........ and therefore not a Copy but a Newly XXXXPerienced Private Pirate Operating Systems Driver ......... for IT is just an Interface/GUI for Advanced Human Readable Virtual AIMachinery Network InterNetworking in Prime Time and Connected Space Zones via IP Address/Intellectual Property Search .................for Live Operational Virtual Environments.

Work, Rest and Play Zones for Cosmic Pioneers in Universal Travel through Innovative Networks.

For those Superlative Red Letter Days in Purple Patches ....... with Double Whammys of Outrageous Good Fortune. :-)

*Are they not Fatally Compromised and Unmasked as Beings in Constant Conflict with the Rabid Maintenance and Protection of Accumulated Wealth as Stakeholder, and as Supposed New Age Driver Empowered with Currency Supply to Generate New Wealth Drivers. The Two Roles are Diametrically Opposed to Each Other and Deliver Practically Nothing and Precious Little ..... as has been much in Evidence and is surely Undeniable, and Shining an Inquisitive Light into that Opaque Bubble/Paste Bauble sees Rats a'scampering from the SMART Brightness for the Darkness and Cold Shadows.

6. The First Dave
    Boffin

LAw

It really should be an EU law that software may only be removed from sale if it is provided for free download.

If it _really_ has no value, then the company aren't going to mind...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Competition Regulation

Could Microsoft just claim that they stopped XP sales to "give the other blokes a chance"?

8. Ihre Papiere Bitte!!
    WTF?

OK. Hey, waidaminnit, WHAT?

"It accused Microsoft of stopping XP sales to to retailers and OEMs (Original Equipment Makers), even though there was continued demand for the older operating system."

Lemme get this straight. Company provides a popular product. 8 years later, company decides to stop providing this product, and is supplying 2 "new versions" which are available. Whatever your opinions of XP, Vista & Windows 7 are, surely this is a matter for Microsoft, not the Russian FAS? Since when does a competition committee force a company to continue a product they want to discontinue because "the people want to buy it from you"?

If this is generally the case, then I'm going to get a committee to force Snickers to go back to being Marathons, because "there is a continued demand for the older name...."

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I want a band new model T ford.

The title is all.

10. Martin Owens

Company via Freedom

"""Since when does a competition committee force a company to continue a product they want to discontinue"""

Since said company controls the market so effectively that there isn't a single competitor that anyone is trained on and comfortable using. Of course I'd just ban Microsoft from selling products at all and write my own god damn software, but I'm not practitioner,

Freedom is a funny old thing, even when your company strips it from the world, the world will just go a little loony and take it back in uninformed and randomly short sighted ways. *oh well*

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The price is right!

Was that check just the right price to look away?

12. kevin biswas

they had no choice...

When word got out almost no-one would have voluntarily bought vista, so they HAD to force people.

13. Goat Jam
    Megaphone

@ Ihre Papiere Bitte!

'Since when does a competition committee force a company to continue a product they want to discontinue because "the people want to buy it from you"?'

When you are a recognised monopoly that forces your product onto every PC sold regardless of whether the purchasers of said PC's want it or not, that's when.

HTH

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Russians buy software?

Really?

15. Loki 1
    Linux

@Ian Bonham

Perhaps a bit easier than in the UK or US. I can pick up a copy of whatever OS i want from the CD/DVD market for a couple of hundred roubles (say $5 max). Quite often comes on a DVD several versions of Windows, all pre-cracked and ready to roll. Normally both EN and RU versions on the disks and sometimes with several versions of office.

Strangely enough the guys there don't normally sell disks with Linux on them! I have to get those from a legal outlet or download!

I really wish they would crack down on this sort of thing though. The less available pirated copies of Windows are the more people will move to Linux :-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like