back to article HP and Canon extend printer deal

HP and Canon are deepening their existing relationship which will see more marketing and distribution for Canon's product list as well as a wider range of kit from HP. The deal will help Canon get more products in front of resellers and consumers while HP will get a better collection of combined products - printer-photocopiers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Support from EDS

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

good luck with that then.

2. SynnerCal
    Happy

WTF?

Canon and HP linking up? Like the article says, I would have thought that the two companies - especially in the areas of scanners, low-cost cameras and printers - were direct rivals.

My Canon gear - especially my much used and badly treated Pixma 5200R printer - has been very usable and reliable. So maybe there's a chance for some synergies - Canon can get HP expertise in Linux drivers (Canon's support is pathetic), meanwhile HP can get Canon to show them how to build stuff properly, (and a few minutes on not pricing printer refills at a point that's needs a gold card to buy wouldn't go amiss).

I'm in the market for a new scanner (my current ancient Epson is on it's last legs) so maybe there'll be some good deals in the offing. Of course, if the linked-up org can do me an all-in-one with photo scanning, individual inks (at a reasonable price!), good looks, wireless connectivity and CD/DVD printing then I'll certainly be interested.

Interesting times ahead....

3. Les Matthew

Didn't Canon

used to make all of the printing engines for Hewlett Packard laser printers?

Had a 4L here that only gave up the ghost two years ago (bought around 1995) and found another on ebay the exact same day for £12.99.

4. Jon Green

@SynnerCal

They may be rivals at the end-purchase point, but, just for example, I write a BSD (Unix) driver* for an HP LaserJet (later known as LaserJet I after the LaserJet II came out), and this was based on the Canon LBP-I print engine - as indeed was the Apple LaserWriter.

Regardless of whose name is on the final packaging, Canon has been making print engines for the world since at least the middle 80s, as John Oates quite correctly said.

(* For the ill-fated Acorn RISCIX project, on the internal-use-only A500 hardware that would later be adapted to become the Archimedes running RISCOS)

5. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like