back to article Citrix gooses XenApp with virtualization

As if keeping track of the many similarly named products coming from Citrix Systems in the wake of its acquisition of virtualization upstart XenSource was not difficult enough, now Citrix is mixing and matching formerly separate technologies to give customers new ways to get centrally controlled applications out to corporate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Eh...

"(Think of the jump to Windows 7 and the number of Windows XP applications that won't work in the baby virtual machine Microsoft is offering for PCs that have virtualization hardware. If you have an old PC, VM hosted apps will let you move those apps off your PC and onto the server and yet still move to Windows 7 if you want or need to.)"

I'm thinking more that this allows my organization the ability to get Linux to the desktop far quicker and with less compatibility issues than before..

2. John Sanders
    Alert

Thats all fine

If anyone could understand exactly what to buy and for what...

Does anybody recall how many times citrix changed the name of their flagship product?

Citrix Winview

Citrix Winframe

Citrix metaframe...

Citrix metaframe xp...

Citrix presentation server...

XenApp server...

All those changes, just like microsoft, to make a worse and worse product in each incarnation, presentation server 4.5 interface is plain horrible. Now we like java, now we not we prefer .NET...

And besides, citrix protocol is named ICA not RDP.

3. Sleepy 3
    FAIL

Marketing nightmare

It has always mildly surprised me that someone actually gets paid for the confusing mess that is Citrix product naming.

That's assuming someone actually does get paid, of course. Maybe they use a random word generator. Citrix MetaXenView NT here we come...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Citrix licensed RDP to MS!!

Sloppy writing? Citrix don't license any of that to MS, sure that ended years ago and was for the multi user technology NOT RDP, Citrix' crown jewels is their ICA stack which is vastly superior to RDP?

Or did I read it wrong.

This topic is closed for new posts.