back to article AT&T juices PC rescue service with Intel's Fast Call for Help

Intel and AT&T are cuddling up to provide remote help-desk support for small and midsized businesses. That is, if those companies' laptops and desktops support Intel's vPro hardware-assisted remote management and security technology - here's Intel's list of those that currently do. The service, announced yesterday and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

A very eloquent and informative title

And then there's the problem of Mr. Joe A. Hacker taking over your network. Remotely. Without the need to find an OS-specific vulnerability. Absolutely fantastic.

Remote-access BIOS 'Trojans' like vPro are risky in a LAN and need careful consideration of risks and advantages - but allowing access from the internet at large? That's cracker's (and orwellian government's) wet dream...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

so how's this supposed to work again?

"to establish an encrypted link between a remote Tech Support 360 technician and the failed PC, even if the PC has suffered a hardware, OS, or network failure, or has been corrupted by a virus or other malware."

Network failure - you can't talk to computer

hardware (harddrive) failure - you can't talk to anything but mobo

hardware (power supply) failure - you can't talk to computer

yeah, uh huh; i can see this working already.

it's friday...time for a brew.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

So you're going to trust ATT

And have them anywhere near your computer. Aren't these the ones letting NSA and who knows who else snoop all internet and phone traffic. Oh yeah, I want them snooping my computer....NOT

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like