back to article Cloud storage hits the High Street

Carphone Warehouse will offer its customers Geek Squad-branded online storage services by Trend Micro. The storage services will actually be provided by Spare Backup and will be embedded within a Trend Micro Internet Security PRO service, co-branded by TMI and Spare Backup as "Geek Squad". Spare Backup and Trend have signed a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steven Jones

Note new

Good heavens - network storage and backup services have been available to ordinary folk in the retail market for years. There are even some free ones around and often associated with ISPs.

The biggest problem for many people is that the broadband networks aren't up to their requirements. Upload speeds, especially, are far too slow for many of today's multi-media files. Of course you can use "in-the-cloud" services and do your photo or video manipulation there, but you still have to get many GB of data uploaded in the first places.

If/when there are broadband networks with upload speeds in the 10s or 100s of mbps then this market will really take off. For the moment it;s stuck on bandwidth limitations.

2. Dave Bell

Media and Trust

I can see the advantage of this for some things I do. It's not much for "media", music or video, but working on old-style text--you remember that, I hope--broadband speeds are going to be a trivial problem. And I might be able to access my data from anywhere.

What will matter is the reliability of the system. I can't pin down specifics in my memory, but I've heard a few stories about this general sort of paid-for support. Can I trust them with my data?

I'm seeing cloud computing spreading. I'm going to want copyright issues to be clear. At least this isn't a show-everyone web page, but it's going to be interesting seeing how the contract deals with what happens when customers leave the service, and yet it's impractical to remove their data from backups.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like