back to article HP-UX gets biannual face-lift

Hewlett-Packard is rolling out Update 5 for the HP-UX Unix operating system that runs its Itanium and PA-RISC lines of Integrity and HP 9000 servers, keeping to its pattern of two updates per year for its flagship operating system. As has been the case with the prior HP-UX updates, the changes are important to existing HP-UX …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Boffin

Errata and comments!

"....The Serviceguard clustering add-on for HP-UX, which is available through the Virtual Server Environment packaging of HP-UX...." MC/ServiceGuard is bundled with the HA OE (High Availability Operating Environment) version of hp-ux. The VSE bundle does not have ServiceGuard but has all the virtualisation tools instead. You have to stump up for the top-of-the-line DC OE (Data Center Operating Environment) bundle if you want SG and all the virtualisation goodies under one support and licensing code, otherwise you just order the bits you want on top of the "free" Base OE bundle. Confused? Believe me, it's better than the old days when you had to keep track of all the individual renewal dates and patch the products separately!

"....ServiceGuard also has a new cluster topology tool, which is a graphical user interface that lets system admins move applications and resources around with points and clicks instead of having to type in commands on a command line...." ?? ServiceGuard has had the graphical SGM (ServiceGuard Manager) for several years now, so is this something new in addition to SGM or just a bit of slack jerr-nah-lizzum (perish the thought!)?

"....Even on these machines, HP has found, customers tend to prefer the integrated clustering that comes with Red Hat and Novell Linux distributions...." True. We have an incidence of SG-LX in production simply because at the time of commission (2004) it was the most trusted option. Whilst SG-LX has been rock solid, the whole shebang is due for replacement next year and is going to be replaced with RHEL AP clustering.

"...."It is hard to compete with free," Cox observes dryly....." False! You have to provide some form of technical or practical advantage to justify the cost, which I have to say SG-LX no longer really does. Having said that, RHEL AP is hardly "free" when you include the support costs.

2. David Halko
    Thumb Up

It's good to see...

It is good to see upgrades still coming for HP-UX!

Go HP!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

A couple hundred Service Guard customers for Itanium Linux

Damn, that sounds like a 100% attach rate.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

It's no words of making not sense do?

"It's no different with the updates to IBM's AIX or Sun Microsystems' Solaris Unixes do."

5. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

RE: It's good to see...

OK, who are you and what have you done with the real Novatose?

6. Billl
    Happy

Isn't that cute?

As if anyone actually uses HPUX for real. HP's so cute. The best thing about HPUX is that all of HP's printers work with it.

I agree with you David. If HP keeps putting out updates, as if anyone cares, then the EU will have to acknowledge that that there is plenty of competition in the Unix space and Oracle can buy Sun.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Pointless

Isn't updating PHUX just like polishing a turd?

Oh that works on so many levels given Mark Turd is the head-clown at the once-great company

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SoapBox

A fail-over configuration is only as good as the acceptance test. I have been doing failover clusters with various frameworks since the 90s and the customer's operation staff is a weaker link than the frameworks themselves. So I could see the RHEL built-in clustering ending up just as useful for the customer.

This topic is closed for new posts.