back to article Office 2004 for Mac granted extended run to appease VBA fans

Microsoft has thrown a lifeline to the Office 2004 for Mac by extending its official retirement date. The software vendor was expected to end mainstream support today, but Microsoft’s controversial decision to clip the wings of Office 2008’s support for Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) clearly proved to be a bad bit of game …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Barracoder
    FAIL

OpenOffice

So your correspondent thinks that some may have opted for the excellent OpenOffice alternative? Would that be because of that package's excellent VBA support? Or did your correspondence decide, as seems much more likely, to just begin talking directly out of his arse?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Well what does that mean?

I suppose that post could be interpreted to mean there will be no new Office for Mac with VBA support before 2012. Is that what we are supposed to infer?

Lack of VBA has crippled Office for me but it did created a sale for Parallels.

3. Edward Clarke
    Pint

Why should I use MS Office?

I'm trying to find a reason to use MS Office and am having a hard time. Openoffice seems to provide all of the features that I need with support for the older versions of MS Office documents. What features do the new 2008 MS offerings have that are worth the difference in price (free vs. $$$)?

Don't get me wrong, I really like the new Windows 7 and plan to upgrade all my desktop machines to it. I just don't see any return on investment for an Office Suite upgrade or outright purchase for a couple of machines that don't have it already. The ability to run on a Mac is nice also since that's what my wife uses at school.

4. James O'Brien
    FAIL

@Barracoder

More pointedly to this phrase

"Or did your correspondence decide, as seems much more likely, to just begin talking directly out of his arse?"

Or more so this word

"his"

Methinks Kelly is a she boss. Though I will agree with you on that one. I think this fine young lady might be getting kickbacks under the table to talk up OpenOffice :P

OO is crap in a business environment when its dominated by office. Great any other time though.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

VBA

VBA is spawn of the fucking devil because it lets people with fuck-all programming ability write mission-critical systems behind the IT department's back, then they turn round and say "it's not working, can you fix it". Bastards.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Re: VBA Devil Spawn

If you think that is bad --- try VB combined with CORBA --- a nest of daemons.

I say VBA should be allowed to die!!!!!!!!!!

7. Mark Simon
    Gates Horns

Microsoft Giveth and Microsoft Taketh Away

... but mostly taketh away. Then charges you for the next upgrade to get some of it back again.

Microsoft charge you to upgrade to an incomplete product, and charge you again to fill in some of the gaps.

Happened with Orifice 2007. Take away customisation of the tool bars, and give you an inadequate quick access toolbar. Then charge you for the upgrade to 2010 when you can customise the ribbons.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

The only reason

to use their crap is being forced to do so by clueless decision-makers for the sake of being "compatible". The crap doesn't even remember its own fucking settings. I say nuke 'em from orbit (can we have an icon for that, please?).

Microsoft – making money from people's ignorance for more than 30 years.

9. Mark Aggleton
    Thumb Down

OO

Excellent - crap. Also surely it's either iFanboys or Fanbois?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why people stuck with 2004

Was because the latest version of Office for the Mac ignored ALL of the goodness that went into Office 2007 for Windows in favour of releasing an even more lethargic bugtastic product.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like